Sunday, April 05, 2020

What Were We Thinking?


THIS was Chuck Berry's only number-one single on Billboard's Hot 100
Among the Sunday nuggets:

- There have been so many hypotheticals and lists and brackets and so on.  The best season in baseball history and things like that.

So, I got to thinking about something. What's that thing that you might have liked 10, 15, 20, years or more ago and now look back at sheepishly?

You know: What were we thinking?

It could be music (I have many examples) or a movie or a fad or a TV show that just hasn't aged well.

It could be fanny packs (yeah, I know some are wearing them again) or...no, I'm not going to say anything that will almost certainly get me in some kind of trouble. You're on your own here, folks.

So, what is the thing that look back on and say to yourself, "What was I thinking?"

- The first Darien resident has died of COVID-19 (Darien Times). Obviously, condolences just aren't sufficient. Susan's reporting in the Darien Times has been so outstanding, along with simply her handling of it from a journalistic standpoint. She's an award-winning journalist and I think this is some of her best work. She has been tireless. Trust me, she does not want this praise (and lord knows I won't tag her in the social media post). She doesn't know that I wrote it.

She has talked with people on a daily basis who have felt like they've had nowhere else to turn. She's gone above and beyond her actual job of being a newspaper editor.

It again reminds me that there are still outstanding journalists out there. I thought this tweet by former MLB player Preston Wilson was great.


I realize I could be considered a "talking head" but a radio version of one. Hopefully I've been responsible with me talking and writing. I try.

- We're getting there. I believe it. Or, at least I want to believe it. There are people who are recovering. There have been leaders who have been wonderful at relaying information, besides the simple "death statistics." I don't play the game of politics and sides but I see it going on daily and I'm incredibly tired of it. At this point, we need to move the ball forward.

So, regardless of party, I see good and bad. The end. Beyond that, I don't care. I don't want anymore heartache. I don't want any more death.

I'm sick of it all. I thought this column by Mike DiMauro was so great. I saw Jemele Hill's tweet and it almost produced a post. It's unnecessary. I no fan of Bob Kraft but he did a lot of good. Don't make that about politics.

- Personally, I confirmed tonight that I won't be teaching at Connecticut School of Broadcasting for the foreseeable future. So, if you're counting, that's basically...er...everything. I do Doubleheader and The Clubhouse for a sense of sanity. I take part in those shows because I like them (when things are going well) and for you -- our audience.

Obviously it's a very scary time. Save for a few podcasts for Hunt Scanlon (and I'm grateful to them for the opportunities they've given me), I'm completely out of work, like so many others.

That aside, I'll be back on Doubleheader tomorrow with Fairfield Prep basketball assistant coach Garrett Hickey as my guest. More guests to follow this week (let's line them up!).

Continue to stay safe, and tell me what those things are that you liked that make you cringe now!

No comments: