Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Have Your Pencil and Scorecards Ready!

It's so. At least it was in 1917.


Matthew C. Wallace had an idea.

He posted on Twitter that he knew the public address announcer from the 1934 World Series between the Cardinals and Tigers was barely audible on the radio broadcast. He also knew it was the oldest World Series broadcast in existence.

Thus, he thought, what if various modern PA announcers and "voices" were to read the game one lineup from a World Series, starting in 1903. He'd create a series of videos to help pass the time.

The reaction was strong. So strong, that his series -- "The Lineups "-- ultimately stretched to the first 50 years of the World Series. That way, he could dedicate each video to a different state and their first responders.

I retweeted that it was a great idea, but didn't reach out to Matthew personally. I mean, who am I? I do a handful of PA gigs for Mahopac and Carmel and others when needed (fast fact: I was asked to events at Yale. I couldn't do the first one due to a conflict. Then I was asked to announce a graduation ceremony but, well, we know how that turned out).

But my retweet got Matt to reach out to me. Humbled, I said I'd do it. I offered it Eric Scholl, but he insisted I do it.

"You're the baseball historian!" he said.

Randomly, I was assigned the 1917 World Series between the then-New York Giants and the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park.

Matt's notes and directions were phenomenal. Get him a picture and what you want to represent (I chose Mahopac in this case). The script was pinpoint. So, I double-checked pronunciations and did a dry run (it's Eddie SEA-cot, by the way).

I had to decide on style. Mostly, I stayed true to me, but I also spoke in a staccato-style of the day. If you've heard me do PA announcing, then you know I'm not much for flare. Bob Sheppard is my...well, shepherd, I suppose.

So, I was comfortable with a straight style.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," I read from the script. "Welcome to Comiskey Park."

I gave it a few tries until I was completely comfortable with it. Sure, I could have been "One Take Adams," but I had time, so why not?

The 1917 World Series saw two of the early powerhouses of baseball contending for the title. The White Sox were, primarily, the same cast of characters whose hosiery would later turn black and become the subject of ridicule, books, and movies.

"Say it ain't so, Joe," the myth went to the great "Shoeless" Joe Jackson (who belongs in the Hall of Fame). And Joe Jackson was batting fourth for Chicago that afternoon. Also in the lineup were Chick Gandil, Oscar "Happy" Felsch, Buck Weaver (not John Cusack), Fred McMullin, as well as Eddie Cicotte. Each of those players were eventually suspended for their role in the 1919 World Series gambling schedule.

So, yes, even if you don't know baseball history, you might know Eight Men Out (sadly, very flawed, though good).

Hall of Famers in the series included manager John McGraw of New York, Ray Schalk, Red Farber, and Eddie Collins of Chicago, and umpires Bill Klem and Billy Evans.

There was no radio broadcast. That would not be attempted until 1921 at the Polo Grounds.

The public address announcer, working his megaphone down the line, was Pat Pieper, a legendary voice around Chicago.

In no way did I try to impersonate him. My goal was honor him and have fun.

For the record, I made no attempt to get a Yankees World Series, and I'm fine with it. I was honored to be a part of this, and it was fun to do something not involving the Yankees. Sure, reading the names of Ruth, Gehrig, Lazzeri, and later on DiMaggio, Ruffing, etc would have also been a blast, but there was something to be said about Heinie Zimmerman.

The Giants were making their first Fall Classic appearance since 1913 while the White Sox were in their first since 1906. New York would have more success in the 20s but, by then, their tenants in the Polo Grounds were also winning league titles -- the Yankees.

The White Sox won the series in six. Jim Thorpe was listed in the starting lineup for the Giants in Game 5 but did not play. So, technically, he's in the box score.

I'm beyond impressed with everything Matt did. I hope you'll enjoy it also. Please reward his work by liking the tweet and watching the video. You can also visit his website for more.

Now, climb in the time machine...

No comments: