Friday, January 25, 2019

The PA Announcer II

I was stationed behind the glass, to the right.
Not a lot of time to write my thoughts on the night of my public address announcing doubleheader.

I have 40 minutes left in the night as I begin this, so if I want to stay within the confines of #Project365, I need to hurry.

In short, I really enjoyed it.

First, both teams (Carmel and Mahopac) are great to work with. Their opponents (Monroe-Woodbury and Rye Town/Harrison) were great as well.

The view through the glass as Mahopac celebrates early success, with their student section in the background.
I announced goals as you'd expect me to.

I introduced the starting lineups without trying to duplicate the old Chicago Bulls.

Which, by the way, still gives me chills and reminds me that Michael Jordan is, indeed, the #GOAT.

I spied a few students dancing to some of my eclectic music choices (though I thought "Africa" by Toto would get a bigger response).

I stayed out of the way and didn't try to make myself the star of the show.

I had to download Jay-Z, Rhianna, and Kanye ("Run This Town") and something called "Five Hours" by Deorro.

I used the Boston Bruins goal horn and song for Mahopac (that's what they like) and the New York Rangers goal horn and song for Carmel (I don't know if they cared).
Sean's old preschool buddy Aidan Martin
I played INXS and AC/DC and Soundgarden and Tom Petty and the Beastie Boys and R.E.M. and Asia and The Beatles (duh) and Billy Joel and The Black Keys and Simple Minds and The Monkees.

I played Nirvana and Dire Straits and the Rolling Stones and Queen.

I played Hall and Oates.

I played Huey Lewis and the News (of course I did).

I played "Theme From New York New York" when the night was over.

Sinatra. Naturally.

Would we have it any other way in the Empire State?

Nobody complained to me about a thing and everyone seemed thankful.

The only complaint was on the scoreboard.

Monroe-Woodbury 3, Carmel 3.

Rye Town/Harrison 10, Mahopac 7.

I walked in not sure how I felt about doing it.

I walked out hoping to do it again.

Until then, I'll head back to the trusty broadcast booth.

The unhappy result for Mahopac.

No comments: