Monday, January 28, 2019

I Almost Forgot

From Water, Water Every Hare (1952)
This was bound to happen.

But it hasn't happened yet.

It's 10:44 and I just realized I hadn't written my daily blog post. The "streak" is at 30 days now, dating back to December 30.

I was actually asleep earlier, having been up three straight nights until 1:30 or beyond.

Sleep isn't exactly something that comes easy to me, and it's so disappointing, because I used to sleep like a rock.

No longer.

So what to write about?

I greatly enjoyed my chat with J. Daniel today about his bookPhinally! The Phillies, the Royals and the 1980 Baseball Season That Almost Wasn't. In the process, I felt like I made a friend as we're in the same age range and have said we'll talk again.

That pleases me.

It also opened the door to having Jeff Katz on. Jeff is the former mayor of Cooperstown, NY (!) and the author of Split Season: 1981: Fernandomania, the Bronx Zoo, and the Strike that Saved Baseball. We're looking at a possible interview on that next week.

That's a year with a particular sting to it, along the lines of 1980. But worse.

I saw Julius Campbell died today (courtesy PennLive). Julius played for the Titans of T.C. Williams High School and won a state championship in 1971.

Remember the Titans, indeed. Strong side, left side.

Look, the movie is pure Disney fantasy (I still try to maintain a sort of family blog so I'll watch my language), and not even in the same zip code of what really happened, but most football fans love it (I'm guilty).

You. Blitz. All. Night.


The Challenger explosion happened 33 years ago today. My dad was home and saw it live. I was in high school, and found out in seventh period history. We seem to always remember that date, but never the date of the Columbia disaster.

February 1, 2003. I raced to WGCH to anchor our coverage.

Lastly, in this "Off the Bench" collection of goodies, I point you to Jeff Pearlman's latest blog post. While not a perfect parallel, his post struck a nerve.

The overall theme? Don't claim to be something you're not. Especially when there are others who have done it much longer.

Weather permitting, I'll be back on the air tomorrow for basketball in Trumbull, as they host Greenwich.

Oh, and one more thing. I've hesitated to write this for whatever reason, but please offer your best (whatever it might be) to Paul Silverfarb, his mom, brother Sam and sister Rachel. Dad Howard died last week after fighting ALS (yes, Lou Gehrig's Disease). Mr. Silverfarb was a very good man. A very brave man. His obituary hits the highlights of a remarkable life.

You probably know I'm not a "thoughts and prayers" guy. Honestly, I detest "T&P." I have my reasons. So do whatever is best for you. They're a great family.

OK, this is really my last thought. I don't know these people at all, but Susan does, and that's enough for me. Their story is awful, caused by a selfish driver. The pictures of their car are astounding (story via SILive). There's a GoFundMe that has been established. The gentleman who is fighting for his life took Susan and her friend to her first Air Supply concert.

Which meant so much to her that she's still telling the story.

Again, do what is best for you.

Now I'm going to bed.

No comments: