Saturday, January 05, 2019

No Stress

The view of the #OriginalTB12 (Terry Bradshaw) from my comfy chair.
I'm watching the NFL playoffs, and I'm relaxed.

Oh sure, I wish the Pittsburgh Steelers were in it but, to be honest, they didn't deserve it, and they had no realistic chance of making the Super Bowl.

I'm an all-or-nothing type of guy. Don't get me wrong. I want the team I root for the in the playoffs, I don't want them in the Super Bowl only to watch them lose (Supes XXX and XLV still haunt me). The same goes for the World Series. Each Yankees' World Series loss in my lifetime (1976, 1981, 2001, and 2003) gnaws at me.

Then there are the playoff losses (1995 and, yes, 2004 particularly come to mind).

So knowing the Steelers are a dysfunctional mess, I'm content to watch this otherwise bland Colts/Texans tilt that is barely starting to be a bit more interesting.

It's hard to imagine that the Pittsburgh Steelers are indeed a dysfunctional nightmare, but here we are. I suppose it happens to the best of them.

For the record, yes, Mike Tomlin is on the hot seat. The team that hasn't fired a coach since Bill Austin after the 1968 season might have to do the slightly unthinkable.

Then there's Antonio Brown. For the love of Lance Alworth, what is it about wide receivers?

I'm getting sidetracked.

Anyway, there is something to be said about your team being out of contention. While that drives many fans away from their sets (and certainly not my preference), it's nice to not have that worry. In my case, I get to watch the game as a largely-unbiased observer.

I have no dog in the fight, and overall, I don't care who wins the Super Bowl.

OK, nobody wants the Cowboys or Patriots to win, but beyond that.

Oh yeah, and the Ravens. A Steelers fan can't want that.

Oh and the Seahawks. They're still whining about Super Bowl XL (get over it).

And the Colts just beat the Texans. So that's that.

Anyway, I'm chilling in the chair that my niece gave me (she got a new one, so I'll take it) and enjoying the evening.

My blood pressure is fine.

No comments: