Sunday, January 06, 2019

Sunday Thoughts


Another day of watching mediocre football, so...

- I appeared on Hudson Valley Sports Talk this morning on the Real Country combo (including WBNR and WLNA). Thanks to the guys for having me on, and to #YourBoyTrav Travis Jackson (Five Minute Major) for inviting me. I was able to catch up with my old friend Jay Verzi, who was there to keep the show sounding good. This is why you keep your connections, and networking is the most important thing. Never know what doors will open (or reopen).

I enjoy getting to see other programs in action. Carl, Tony, and Carl have the feeling of "controlled chaos" that I've had on every show I've done since 1998. It was fun and they were gracious hosts.

- On a completely different topic, there's literally nothing good to say about R. Kelly. If you've read about the documentary "Surviving R. Kelly," then you know what I mean. This is actually a deeply disturbing story.

Never mind the simplistic idea of respect for women (and all people, silly me). But these stories are disgusting.

- I'd talk politics. But nah.

- Back to happy stuff (like sports), I was sad to discover the MLK Jr Basketball Classic, played at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, is off the schedule this year. I had the pleasure of broadcasting it a few times and thought it was a great day for basketball fans in Connecticut.

I've heard various reasons about it (socioeconomic and so on). I've heard the people who wanted it are gone. Whatever the case, days like that are good. In my naive view, I'd love to see a big sponsor step in to support the day, make ticket prices super low, and involve a broadcaster (oh, hi, that's me). More sports should do it. There are hockey tourneys everywhere. Make one happen at Webster Bank Arena. A baseball day at Cubeta Stadium in Stamford would be fun also.

In football, while such a thing is harder, there is the 7-on-7 tournament in New Canaan. I've been to that a few times and it was great fun to watch.

- The FCIAC playoff schedule is out, with some new (or just different) facilities in the mix for hosting. The boys hockey championship will be at Dorothy Hamill Rink in Greenwich, while the girls will be at the Darien Ice House (Rink). Trumbull is the host for girls basketball, while Wilton will again host the boys. There are all kinds of moves going on. Interesting stuff. I hope I'm heavily involved.

Most curious to me is the disappearance of Terry Conners Rink as the home of the FCIAC Championship games in hockey. I'm sure it's business.

There's stuff I don't understand, and so I put my trust in Dave Schultz and the FCIAC braintrust.

- There will be more details to come, but it looks like Mick McGowan and I will lead the way for the 2019 Connecticut girls hockey championship broadcast, as we did in 2018 (with Shawn Sailer). I'm guessing the game will be on March 10, but again, details to follow.

- As we've made it January 6, just a note of support for John Nash, as he started this ball rolling on his Project 365, and thus encouraged me to do a post every day as well (we're on day 8, actually). Here's his latest, and I actually love the idea in this one. I might have to try that one.

No comments: