Sunday, January 20, 2019

Dynasties



It's no secret that sports dynasties are boring, and easy to hate.

Think about it: would you care a bit about the New York Yankees if they didn't have those 26 gleaming, sparking rings (and one pocket watch, for their 1923 title)? How about the Cowboys, Steelers, Lakers, Packers, Celtics, Canadiens, UCLA...

And the Patriots?

Let's be honest, most of New England was ambivalent at best towards the team that initially played in Boston, and called six (!) different stadium home since their beginning in 1960.

(That's Nickerson Field, Fenway Park, Alumni Stadium, Harvard Stadium, Foxboro/Schaefer/Sullivan Stadium, Gillette Stadium, in case you're wondering, and does anyone remember that they were the Bay State Patriots in 1971?)

The point is, they developed their hardened, and now cocky, fan base once current #TB12 (but not the original) came along. Once he and the HC of NEP teamed up, they became a dynasty. Indeed, all hail Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Massive respect to them. But they're also easy to despise. That's what a dynasty does, and Spygate and Deflategate just makes it easier.

But you can't ignore the greatness. And make no mistake: I can't (and won't) pick against them.

Still, it's fun to watch dynasties crumble. I know that, and know how many have enjoyed watching the Yankees lose. Every fan base becomes obnoxious after winning (yes, that includes you, Red Sox). It's the nature of it.

I can still see me, quietly sitting on a couch, watching Super Bowl XLII. The "Perfect Pats" were struggling with the upstart New York Giants, but had the lead late. Here comes Eli Manning, with a touchdown pass to (former Steeler) Plaxico Burress. I hadn't really tipped my hand in terms of rooting that day. I have affection for the Giants because they played in Yankee Stadium from 1956-1973, and their ties to the Steelers. I didn't really care about the Pats, though they'd hurt my Steelers quite a few times.

But I had my reasons. Oh did I ever on that day in early 2008 (that's a hint, folks).

I jumped up off that couch.

"SUCK IT!"

It was like an out of body experience. I didn't expect that reaction, and sort of meekly apologized as I sat back down.

So it is today that we watch those frenzies of Foxboro. We watch the Hoodie and Touchdown Tommy, as they go up against Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs, who haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1970 (when they beat Minnesota, 23-7).

We'll also watch the Rams (last Super Bowl? A loss to Tom Brady and the Pats in 2002) take on the Rams (with Drew Brees, who just keeps setting every record while saying, "Remember me?").

Honestly -- and I mean this -- I just want two good games.

Maybe Tom Brady can then lose his fourth (FOURTH?) Super Bowl. Jim Kelly lost four! (And how great is the news that Kelly is cancer-free?) Or Brady can win his sixth. Impressive, either way.

May the best teams win, but we all know most of this country will be pulling for Kansas City today.

If only for the ghost of Hank Stram.



(UPDATE: The Rams and Patriots won. Both games had controversy. Both losing teams didn't make plays when needed. That's football for ya.)

No comments: