Friday, January 04, 2019

Radio Interview This Sunday

Greenwich and Darien shake hands following the Winter Classic on 12/29/18.
Roughly a week ago, my friend Travis Jackson (aka Five Minute Major on Twitter/Instagram) asked if I would join him for a radio interview on a show in the Hudson Valley.

Who? Me? Radio interview? Sure!

So this is going to happen:

The show will air on WGHQ 920 AM and W22CR 92.5 FM in Kingston, WBNR 1260 AM in Beacon, WLNA 1420 AM in Peekskill.

You can also find it on TuneIn Radio and at Real Country.

Does any of this sound familiar?

What's currently known as "Real Country" was once called "The Sound of the Valley" and "Hudson Valley Talk Radio." It was also the home of the Hudson Valley Renegades, Mount Saint Mary College basketball, and a talk show called "The Tailgaters."

If you're new, or don't remember, I joined the group (owned by Pamal) in 2001 when I asked if they wanted help with Renegades broadcasts. I soon became one of their board operators (I prefer the term "studio host") and joined my friend Sean Ford for Gades games at Dutchess Stadium. This continued on and off through 2017 (the Gades have since shifted to being online only).

They also handed Sean and I a unique opportunity in 2008 when I not only ran the board but served as color commentator from the studio (nope, not kidding). On other nights, I went to the ballpark with Sean. In the process, we created a talk show called "The Tailgaters."

That was also the year of the game broadcast at Fenway Park. A treasured time for sure. I also went to Lowell (along with Harold), as well as Brooklyn, Aberdeen, and Oneonta. Good times. I'd eventually add in Troy (Tri-City) and Staten Island as well. I miss that.

Finally, I was given the chance to be the first play-by-play voice in the history of Mount Saint Mary College for the 2009-2010 season. I called a bunch of games in both men's and women's basketball, often with my Sean (then nearly eight-years-old) in tow, working with the great Christine Baker, as well as John Spang (who always wanted to do basketball) and Chris Kaelin.

So it will be fun to walk back into the studios of the Broadcast Center Sunday morning to see not only Real Country, but WHUD, K-104, and WBPM.

I have no idea how much I'll actually be on "Hudson Valley Sports Talk," but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: