Friday, January 18, 2019

Don't Blame the Messenger

Edward R. Murrow
It's no secret that the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC is no fan of the mass media, and has utter contempt for journalists.

Never mind that President Trump has also used the media to bloat his empire through books, conversations in the press, and his reality show.

Please note, I was not a fan of the show. I tended to dump it onto the trash heap of most reality TV. At best, I was ambivalent.

I've been a member of the media for nearly 30 years. I suppose I could identify with being a journalist in some form for a little over 20 of those years. I've prided myself on being accurate and having integrity. I made sure to not demonstrate a bias.

I realize one is quick to point out that I'm a "Yankees/Steelers/Rangers/Knicks" fan. Fair. But if you have paid attention, I've destroyed each one of those organizations, and have a particular anger pointed at the six-time Super Bowl champions right now for being a dysfunctional mess.

If the Mets wanted to hire me in their booth, I'd bring the same passion and integrity that I always have. The uniform becomes irrelevant. Seemed to work for a kid from Washington Heights named Scully who was a Giants fan growing up. He called Dodgers games for 67 years and never showed an ounce of bias. Kinda worked out, didn't it?

I've also heard of my having a bias for Greenwich. But I've also heard I get too excited when a Greenwich opponent scores.

So...that means I'm doing my job.

I recognize there are many bad apples in the media. There are some journalists walking around with an agenda. I can also say that I can count on one hand the number of journalists locally that I see exhibiting any form of bias.

And having a social media feed full of that bias will not help that.

But there are journalists in all facets that I put my faith in. You have to know where to look. Is FOX a right wing outlet? You bet. Does that mean all of their reporters have to be hit with the same broad strokes? No.

Is MSNBC liberal? Absolutely, but the same rules apply.

Yes, I know those on one side or the other are going to bristle. "Wait! There's no liberal media," you say.

Keep thinking that. The Loch Ness Monster is holding on line two.

My overriding point here is that the media isn't as evil as you think. Like all walks of life, we have those who don't uphold the same integrity. I don't think I'm one of them. I know countless others -- both sports and otherwise -- who aren't influenced, despite what anyone wants to believe.

They do their jobs. Period.

Local radio could use some love (and lots of game broadcasts). Local newspapers still matter. There are really hardworking people at these outlets, and whether they produce their content in print or online, they (we) deserve support as we deal with the avalanche of metaphorical "you suck" that we get.

I see it. I hear it. I get tons of "The media is terrible. Present company excluded."

Thanks, tons.

The media isn't the enemy. I get tired of hearing an industry that I hold dearly being held responsible for all of the problems of the world.

Should we be held accountable? Absolutely.

But we're not the problem.

Avoid the low-hanging fruit.

No comments: