Saturday, June 02, 2012

Biking the Walkway

Not my picture (thanks, Google)
I rode my bicycle across the Walkway Over the Hudson between Poughkeepsie and Highland on Thursday.  I enjoyed the scenery, and it was nice to be outside, but as a bike ride for the purpose of exercise, it is a colossal waste of time.

Ugh.

It is just simply too crowded, and there are too many kids.  In fact, the parks department specifically says that bicycles are to go s-l-o-w on the bridge.  That, of course, does not stop people from racing across.

The bridge was fairly quiet (all things considered) as I drove across in the late afternoon sun.  I had to negotiate around some groups who felt it was appropriate to walk five across, but my ride was not very stressful.  It was purely enjoyable, but not good exercise.

Things would open up on the Highland side of the bridge for me, and I did ride for a few minutes, until I came across the following sign...
My picture.
 I mean...really?  Is it THAT hard to put the right shield up?  Boys and girls, 9W is not a New York route.  Sigh...

Well, that was enough to make me head back towards Poughkeepsie, but first, I came across a roller blader (I had just passed her) who had fallen.

And yes, she couldn't get up.  She thought she had a cracked hip.  The police and ambulance came along to take her - most likely to Saint Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie.

Not that I know anyone who works there.  Nope.  Not me.

The rest of my ride?  Uneventful.  Pretty, but that's about it.

Nice experience, but be ready for the crowds.

No comments: