Thursday, December 10, 2009

Happy 80th Birthday


Dad
Originally uploaded by SteelYankee
This is my dad - I'd guess sometime in the late 30's or early 40's. Today would have been his 80th birthday. Of course, he's in my heart and in my thoughts every day.

People loved him. He had a youthful heart and spirit that gave out on him much too soon. He had a difficult relationship with his own father, but he and I were very close. I can honestly tell you that while I've watched so many others have tumultuous relationships with their parents - especially when the kids are in their teens - I had a blast with my parents. I liked them. I liked being around them.

I liked being their son, and I'm proud to be the spitting image of my dad that I am. It's in that same vein that I'm proud that Sean is a carbon copy of both my dad and me. There are worse things to be in the world.

Happy birthday, Pop. You're missed every day.

No comments: