Sunday, February 26, 2023

Two Degrees of Adams




It was almost two weeks ago when I got a quick three-word text from Sean.

"My diploma arrived!"

Yes, my son has earned a degree from Dutchess Community College. It is the degree of Associate in Sciences, Communications and Media Arts.

I couldn't be prouder.

That being said, he has decided -- for now -- that this degree will be the end of his educational journey.

I expressed concern and a hint of disappointment without overplaying it.

Then I thought back to a young dope of a different era.

(insert dreamy vibraphone flashback sounds)

The year was 1989. By this point, I was a part-time student at Westchester Community College.

I went full-time after high school but was told that I'd need a job after my first year to be able to pay for my education.

You need to understand that college was not a priority in my house as my parents were simply of a different time. Oh, they supported my going completely but I don't think the same can necessarily be said before I went to Westchester.

So in June 1988, with an assist from my next-door neighbor, I had a full-time job offer from then-General Foods in Rye Brook, NY. I would be working in the mail room of that Taj Mahal-looking building near Interstate 287.

GF (eventually, Kraft General Foods) was great about paying for employees to continue their education*.

*Well, they were until a manager a few years later declined to pay for me to go to school since they didn't like my pursuit of a Communications degree. She felt it "wasn't business-related." Nice, right?

But, stopping the digression, I began going part-time at night, with some classes in Valhalla at the main campus, and even an accounting class up near home in Shrub Oak, NY.

So this was to be the game plan. Keep grinding and get the degree.

Until March 17, 1989. Of course, my father died that Friday night.

Completely lost, I missed the first session or two of that accounting class as I mourned and attended the funeral. I eventually returned to class but, to be honest, I was a shell. I thought I'd just rally but I was a mess. Thinking the instructor would have a heart, well, no. He failed me.

And, with that, I was done with school.

I had a job. I'd figure it out.

That fall, well, I began to realize I wasn't being smart. I decided to go back to school.

Not college but, wait for it, Connecticut School of Broadcasting.

Almost immediately, I regained my confidence and got the morale boost that I needed. Frankly, I did pretty well and learned skills that would nudge me toward where I am today.

My mother, for the record, thought I was nuts for going there, so I made my goal simple: earn every penny back in broadcasting that I spent on attending CSB. If I did no worse than breaking even, then I'd accept that it was successful.

Despite literally everything I feel about the business at the moment (and it's not good) I surpassed what I spent on CSB. In fact, I earned it all back within a year or so of part-time work.

Mission accomplished.

With that came the desire to finish what I started and I returned to Westchester Community College. Though only taking night classes while I worked during the day was a beast, I was still able to persevere and get my Associates Degree.

I even took that pesky accounting class again during a summer session and passed it.

I wasn't done. I moved onto Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, determined to get my Bachelors Degree.

It again took patience, as I went part-time, taking classes almost year-round. Still, I could only realistically handle a couple of classes each semester while holding down a full-time job (and paying for it myself, I might add). Eventually, Kraft moved my position to Chicago and I had to move on in my career. 

It was probably for the best anyway.

But I continued attending school and completed my degree in 1997. Though I didn't attend graduation at Westchester, I did take part in a small ceremony that December at Western Connecticut.

I often see people with sweatshirts or rings or stickers on their car from their college. I have nothing and I do sort of regret that. I'm really proud of finishing and where I went to school.

It sometimes gnaws at me that I stopped there but I don't think I failed in not continuing my education. In fact, simply going back and completing any degree was an achievement.

And I'm always grateful to CSB for helping make my brain function a bit again.

So as I listened to Sean talk about how he wouldn't be continuing his education, I reminded myself to be proud of what he did achieve and recognize that, as his father once did, he also might go back one day.

I'll be just as proud then.

I think he will be also.

No comments: