Monday, February 27, 2023

Just Random Monday Thoughts

I would have needed these bad boys
(Crab cakes: Fratelli's Italian Restaurant - Salisbury, MD)

 

I'm just not feeling it tonight and I apologize.

I'm sure, to some, this should count as a demerit.

"Foul!" you yell. "This can not be considered part of the post-per-day thingy!"

Yes, you could say that and it certainly is a respected opinion but I still posted something nonetheless. So, yeah, we're still rocking.

Not exactly a brain surgery post here this evening, I can assure you.

As the snow begins to fall (wait! Snow!? "Huzzah!" you might say) I watch as the flakes smack the road and not a single thing changes.

You see, the ground is still somewhat warm here in the 203 so it's sort of sticking. Sort of.

The roads, on the other hand, are just wet. I imagine that might change overnight.

I found out today that I will indeed be on the call of the FCIAC boys basketball semifinals and finals once again and there was much rejoicing in the land!

Or, I'm happy. Nobody else cares.

I will fly solo in my endeavor because that is what is desired and I will abide by that. Of course, if the always-mighty Chris Erway were to descend from his tower, well we'd simply dazzle you with our A-Teamness.

Whatever that is.

But, thanks to the snow, those games, initially scheduled for tomorrow and Thursday, have been moved to Wednesday and Friday.

I'm also pleased to say that Boomslang Basketball is back with a playoff game on Saturday morning. If they win that then there will be a championship game on Sunday. I'm in for whatever.

I even saw a last-minute call for a broadcaster needed for a pair of games at Maryland Eastern Shore in Salisbury, MD.

It would have been two basketball games and I saw the need way too late to even consider it. Considering traffic, it would be a five-hour drive and I saw it around 11:30 this morning. The first game started at 5:30. 

Yet there's something fun about the idea of zipping down the New Jersey Turnpike and US 13 through Delaware. Given the weather, it sort of reminds me of the time I nearly slept in the parking lot at Post University a few years back in driving snow.

In this case, I think there would have been a need for a hotel room, as much as I love the idea of buckling in for a long drive home following the second game. Yet, being realistic, I don't think my head would have hit my pillow before 3:00 a.m.

Let's be honest, that would have been dangerous. It would have been a combination of exhaustion and bad weather.

I would have rather stayed in a hotel and grabbed lunch at Fratelli's in Salisbury (the best crab cakes I've ever had) and made my way back to Greenwich. That, of course, would have deleted profits made on the games but the experience would have been great.

But it wasn't meant to be.

Oh, and incidentally, the snow is now covering my street.

Alas, we'll saddle back up on the horse at the Headset Ranch on Wednesday for the doubleheader of Trumbull/Danbury (5:30) and Staples/Ridgefield (7:15). The winners will play in the FCIAC Championship on Friday and you probably know how much it means to me to call those games.

Every time I think I'm out, I get dragged back in.

Willingly dragged in.

No comments: