Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Hello, Love!

 


First, a note about the title of the post. Ron Lundy was a DJ on WABC (770 AM) in New York City. It's not unfair to say it was the most famous radio station in the country at one time. Lundy, along with Dan Ingram, were two of the top jocks on the famed Top 40 station that was affectionately called "W-A-Beatle-C" when the Lads arrived in 1964.

In any event, Lundy -- a big-voiced, warm personality born in Memphis -- would open every show with a boisterous "Hello, Love!" It was Lundy that I recall just sounding so friendly and happy to be on the radio. It obviously stuck with me.

As World Radio Day passed yesterday, I figured opening a post about Valentine's Day with that nod to Ron Lundy was fitting. Thanks, Love.

*****

It is, indeed, Valentine's Day. To many, it is despised, mostly for its over-the-top Hallmark trappings of chocolates, candy, food, and excessive gifts. To be sure, a lot of that is true.

For sure, it's easy to go full Adam Sandler in The Wedding Singer, growling out "Love Stinks."

Yet, ever the romantic, I appreciate all of the wishes that loved ones are passing along. I still buy into the idea of the thing called love. You know, the power of love (hmmm. That sounds like a song title).

We've come a long way in recognizing that Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about excess. It can be simply about loving those around you. It can also be about loving yourself.

The "Galentine's Day" concept has taken off for women, for instance. 

You see, the problem is that, as with everything, we need to strike the proper balance. That's the kind of Valentine's Day I look for.

Also, any day can be Valentine's Day in reality. Sure, the calendar says it's February 14 but in our world, adjustments can be made! So the day of l'amour should simply be a reminder to love. Love everything.

Love your romantic partner. Love your kids. Love your parents. Love your friends. Love yourself.

Let's be honest, as a society, we're awful at reminding our loved ones that they are, indeed, loved. I've tried to be better at it but I know Sean would think I'm nuts if I started telling him that. It's more implied between the two of us.

So, simply, stop putting so much pressure on the day. That's a solid reminder for me. Honestly, I was home tonight with what was supposed to be a later depo. When I logged in I was alone. That's very common and I actually prefer it. Nobody else was on the Zoom call so I'm able to establish things how I want them to be.

But then an hour passed and nobody joined me. The start time for the case came and went. Eventually, I got the news that it had been canceled and nobody told us.

So I got around to making dinner. I decided since I had a couple of eggs, some cheese, a bagel, and a hash brown pattie that a breakfast sandwich would be perfect.

All was well and really good. Except my lousy toaster oven got a little smoky and set off the smoke detector. It was loud for a minute or two before stopping.

Then I ate. Delicious.

So here are my two cents. Don't overthink Valentine's Day. Don't put too much pressure on yourself either for it.

I think -- I could be wrong -- that mine was pretty nice.

Love doesn't always stink.

No comments: