Saturday, February 11, 2023

Mr. Clean

 


We're going to have a small Superb Owl party here tomorrow.

Small as in one in addition to Sean and me. Oh, and The Cat.

Understand that we don't entertain here. Like, ever. Our guests since May 25th have numbered maybe ten, and five of those have been for deliveries or repairs. Another one is our landlord.

So, yeah. 

Look, we have a small place. We still lack a couch. I could definitely use another set of eyes to see what we can do to make things more comfortable. Admittedly, there are times I want to stretch out while watching TV. So I use my chair and ottoman.

But with our, ahem, party here tomorrow, I decided to do some cleaning. Scrub the floors, vacuum, change the cat litter, and get the garbage together to take outside.

Things like that.

The cat in question was less than thrilled to see the vacuum in my hands, first electing to hide underneath my bed and then sprinting into Sean's room to hide under his bed.

So I cleaned everything up. We'll take the garbage out tomorrow and pick up a few things before we prepare to watch the Chiefs and Eagles do battle.

The cat recovered. He's fine.

It says here: Eagles 35, Chiefs 30.

*****


If you were on the book of duh face today you might have noticed I posted a couple of pictures of new WGCH board operator Sean Adams.

Operations manager Bob Small asked me a few weeks ago if I'd be interested in running the board for a new Saturday morning show. Saturdays are often hit or miss for me so I wasn't sure if this was something I'd want to do, especially with the inability to make a serious commitment. 

Sean, however, could use an opportunity. I connected Bob and Sean and, as I normally do, I then step away.

My nepotism extends to opening the door. Sean needs to then walk in and make it happen. That doesn't keep me from going over to WGCH while he's being trained. What I'm thinking is that I could then be Sean's backup.

With new people in charge of 1490 AM, we're trying to rebuild the little radio station that can a bit. We've needed board operators for a while because we don't have a very deep roster. I lean on the great Sean Kilkelly for anything I can bring him in for but Sean Adams can be of great use to the station potentially. The radio station has to create opportunities to get these talented people in the building.

Bob and I have a few ideas coming up.

So I can back Sean up (and Bob has us both covered if needed) for his new Saturday gig. It really does make sense. Sean was born into radio, given he was gurgling in the background the day he was born as I went on the air to talk about him during the FCIAC hockey championship that night.

He's been a part of WGCH ever since, appearing with me on recorded holiday messages every year and co-hosting the Greenwich Town Party with me.

Now, he's an actual employee. He's not worried about going on the air and, overall, doesn't have a big desire to do so.

Leave the talking to Dad, he says.

But he has a technical mind for broadcasting, through his upbringing to becoming a camera operator for the Renegades. In fact, he was a little more advanced in that there was a Radio Club at his high school that he was excited to join.

Then he found out "radio" meant basically setting up speakers for football games. It had zero to do with broadcasting.

He eventually gave it up because he knew a little more about what "radio" was.

Now he gets to do it for real.

So, if you're scoring, he's gone to the Renegades, WGCH, and will likely soon be on depositions.

Just like his dad.

But, here's the thing. I'm proud. You know that. Yet I don't share every single piece of his life -- good and bad -- on social media. When he struggled in baseball, you didn't need to see those swings and misses. That helps no one, especially Sean. 

Sure, I shared pictures and stories. Sometimes too much I'm sure. But I tried to use good judgment.

Not everyone does.

And one other thing, he gets mad at me when I share things on social media. Like most kids.

You can be certain there will something about him again when his birthday gets here in 10 days and justifiably so.

But, for tonight, I'm enjoying having him as a colleague at WGCH.

And we're planning to host the Greenwich Town Party again this May.

No comments: