Sunday, February 12, 2023

It Was Fine

The Chiefs scored on the lone takeaway of the night

 

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

A late penalty was a big factor in setting Kansas City up with the opportunity to run down the clock and kick a field goal. To be quite clear that was not the difference in the game. 

Patrick Mahomes proved (at least to me) that he's an all-time great. He, Andy Reid, and Travis Kelce are well on their way to having to write speeches for Canton.

But, how to sum it all up?

Well, it's in the title.

It was fine.

It was a good game. Maybe, with time, it will be a great game. I enjoyed it. There were lots of moving parts to consume. But, being honest, the penalty for sure sapped any remaining wow factor. 

The reactions online are this is the greatest game ever with the greatest halftime show ever and the greatest broadcast show ever and oh my God why is Terry Bradshaw still allowed to work?

Let's parse that.

1) No. It was not the greatest game ever. It was a very good game. Perhaps great. Let's not act like Kansas City had some stirring comeback either. Yes, they won by definition in a comeback. But not once did the game elevate my heart rate. It didn't stir. It was very good.

2) Rihanna was fine. The music was fine and featured songs that even I know. She lip-synched and, well, whatever, I guess. There was nothing spectacular about it. It was solid. Those of us watching it kind of shrugged our shoulders when it was over. To be honest, it was exactly what I was hoping for. It was a show that I'm not on here dragging.

3) Leave Terry Bradshaw alone. That's my message. He won four Super Bowls, didn't cheat in them, called his own plays, and I'll just stop talking now. But he's an institution.

Other things: Greg Olsen was good. Kevin Burkhart was, again, fine.

That's really the word tonight.

Our Super Bowl gathering of Sean, Kris, me, and The Cat was the best part of the day, especially when Kris's wife Lori was on the phone from Florida. We'll see her in a little over three weeks.

But I'm content with the wings and pizza and the chocolate cake and some company here. I'm happy with the laughs and chatter.

The game was fine. We didn't find ourselves breathless when it was over and I can tell you Kris and I have seen some classic sporting events together.

Tonight was good. 

The game ended, he stood up, and basically called it a night.

Now comes baseball.

OK, yes, basketball and hockey continue on, of course.

Pitchers and catchers report this week.

And I have a basketball game to call tomorrow afternoon at Brunswick.

Oh, and the NFL isn't rigged. The game wasn't rigged.

Now, everyone play nice and we'll start the new week.

No comments: