Thursday, February 02, 2023

A Picture is Worth Under a Thousand Words

 


I've written this little thing on the interwebs for over 16 years.

I've written as few as 35 posts in a year (2018) and as many as 464 (2009). 

I see the number of readers every day.

I also see the comments, be it on Facebook, Twitter, or here on Exit 55 itself.

And I know -- without a doubt -- that many liking and/or commenting don't actually open the post. They simply see the picture and like the post. Sometimes, they'll comment, and it will be obvious they didn't read it.

I saw that over the past couple of posts. 

I get it and we'll remain judgment-free (sort of). But, it does sort of grind my gears when a comment is a clear indication of not reading because, had the post been read, you would see I wrote the exact thing in question.

Yes, I'm being intentionally vague. I'm not trying to call anyone out.

John Nash is currently doing a post-per-day (Photo 365) featuring his outstanding photography along with text. It's worth a look but please open the post and read his words. Both are worth it.

I decided to use a picture that I took of the Golden Gate Bridge back on my first trip to San Francisco, in 2019. I was told by Scott Scanlon -- he of Hunt Scanlon, of course -- that he thought the picture was postcard-worthy.

I'm not known for taking good photos but I'm intrigued to see who actually reads this versus just liking the picture. The bridge is iconic and I had the good fortune of good light and a good angle.

I know that's become a thing. Judge off a picture or a headline but, like everything else, context is important.

Reading, they once said, is fundamental.

Sure, I like the picture I posted.

I hope you do also.

But I hope the words also matter.

No comments: