Monday, February 20, 2023

Always Be Prepared

 

A makeshift booth

Another day is done.

As it was a holiday (by definition) some of it was good and quite fun.

There was also a long drive up to Poughkeepsie to do Poughkeepsie Nissan Monday Night Sports with Zolz and Fran (plus Uncle Mike running the controls). It's a fun time.

Then there's a long drive home.

I cut through Mahopac for no other reason than just because. It's easy enough to use as another route to get from the Taconic Parkway to Interstate 684 to finish the drive.

Plus it allowed me to glance at the old house. In the dark, it sat mostly quiet as it embraced its new life and new occupants.

I'm back in Greenwich with no real guidance on upcoming work and that will always make me a bit anxious.

But I sit ready to be asked to do the job, even on the day of the game.

In some cases, going in blind is dangerous, especially if you know nothing about the participants and event. In the case of, say, the FCIAC, I've got roughly 25 years of experience with the conference.

I'm still awaiting news on the next Brunswick call, which should be a basketball semifinal or final. Either way, I'm comfortable with the team and fairly comfortable with who they might play. 

My broadcasting brethren often speak of their need for fancy charts and graphs and stats and interviews and so on.

I need a couple of rosters and my scoresheet in the worst-case scenario. I'll make it go from there.

A lot of times, I don't even need a partner. I can work around that. 

Broadcast booths must have chemistry. You don't have to be best buddies but a good booth should sound like you've invited the audience in. Grab a burger, a dog, and a beverage and we'll tell you about the game.

Stay for a while. "Pull up a chair," as a wise red-haired man often said.

I've often said that I've been blessed with partners. While there are stories (always!) there really aren't horror stories. At least not on the air.

My least favorite scenario is getting a person thrown in with me but I've done it so many times that I adjust and move on.

Still, I prefer picking my own partner or at least having a chance to develop chemistry before air time.

But, sometimes, it just isn't possible.

When it comes to last-minute games, I'll always think of my first hockey broadcast. Oh, I very much was not prepared. I was working in Norwalk and got a call. I got put on that night's game. I'm pretty sure I've told this story here so I won't belabor.

I survived.

I also remember sipping a cup of coffee in Fairfield one day and getting asked to call the FCIAC baseball championship that started in just a few hours.

I went. I went blind.

I got the job done.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that I'll be ready if I need to jump in. 

Time is always nice but it's also a luxury.

If the planets align, I'll be ready for that next call.

Whenever I get it.

No comments: