Thursday, February 23, 2023

On Sean's Time

 


He came into the world just as you might expect.

Quiet. Unassuming. No fuss.

That was Sean Adams.

That is Sean Adams.

He's 21 today.

Oh, he's thinking all the time. You bet he is. And there's a comment potentially buried inside that brain. The comment is most likely something sarcastic but it can also be equally profound.

That low-key approach of his was on display as I was teaching at CSB one night years ago. He couldn't have been more than ten (tops) and I had nobody to watch him.

So, armed with things to keep him busy, we made the drive to Stratford. He sat on a stool next to me for the entire 3.5-hour class.

He said nothing. In true Sean fashion, he'd only speak if needed and that would have been for a run to the men's room. Otherwise, there were no attempts to play with equipment, get loud, or be an otherwise average kid.

He stayed entertained. Then, suddenly, class was almost over. I was wrapping up when I paused and asked him if he wanted to address the room. Would he like to offer any thoughts or advice?

I thought he'd say nothing. I do the talking normally. Sean, not surprisingly, is happy to run a camera or controls. In fact, in other visits to CSB, Sean acted as floor director, guiding students while wearing a headset. Even then, he'd only do countdowns and points. All hand gestures.

But, no, in this case, he spoke. The words resonated.

"Just stay calm," he said, "and everything will be fine."

I've told every class that story since.


He doesn't quite laugh and smile as easily as he did when he was little. Bullying in school took a chunk of that away. But he still has a pretty easy laugh when he knows you. Still, there can be an air of mystery to him.

Because of his height and overall quiet demeanor, he can even seem a little intimidating. A few of his younger cousins have noted a level of fear, not understanding it's just him being quiet. Thoughtful. Even uncomfortable.

In truth, he's shy.

I've said forever he does things on his time. You could say that about him being born. I had literally just gone to sleep when I was awakened by his mother, who told me she thought it was time. 

Still, Sean allowed us plenty of time to prepare and leave in a calm fashion. We hustled down U.S. 6 from Mahopac to Peekskill but drove safely. There was no need for speed.

Even then, there were laps around the floor of the hospital because Sean just wasn't ready yet. 

Then he arrived, as I said, quietly.

So he's figuring life out also. 

Yes, he's following in my footsteps as he does figure it out. He's gone to the Renegades and will begin his third season there. He's taken on deposition work, having started officially training yesterday but, he's been watching over my shoulder for two-plus years. He's now running a shift at WGCH as a studio operator. He'll also host the broadcast of the Greenwich Town Party with me once again in May.

Eventually, he'll pave his own path. 

As with everything else, it will be on his time.

In true Sean fashion, any glass he raises will have water or orange juice in it. Maybe a Vitamin Water. Even at 21, he won't drink alcohol. It's who he is. It's his decision.

On the other hand, I will toast him. 

Proudly.

Happy birthday, Sean.


No comments: