Friday, February 03, 2023

Time to Write!

 


It's currently 10 degrees and windy here in the GCH.

It's supposed to get down to right near zero tonight.

So it's cold. Throw in the windchill and it's really cold.

But with the wind howling at times there is the very real possibility of a power outage.

So the need to write has hit a point of urgency.

No power could mean no internet and, before you say "use your phone as a hot spot!" allow me to point out that we're in a bit of a valley and service isn't great.

The wind rattled the house a few times to the point that I saw a picture on the wall shake a bit. I even saw a hint of the lights flickering.

For those who aren't in the area or haven't been outside, the temperature has progressively dropped all day. What was fairly cold when I walked out the door became downright brutal later.

Now, to be clear, it's only the fact that we've been spoiled this winter that I even bring this up. Sure, we'd grumble about it being cold but it has been so unseasonable warm that I find it hard to complain. Also, regardless of how cold it's going to be the temperature will come back up a bit on Sunday.

But, for perspective, please note that it was 35 below zero (Fahrenheit) in International Falls, MN today. So, despite the chill here, it could always be worse.

However, if the wind knocks out the power? Yeah. Let's avoid that.

Of course, what else could I possibly do on such a cold day? How about broadcast hockey?! 

To be honest, Brunswick's wonderful Hartong Rink is often quite cold. I'm normally happy to spend a few minutes in the lobby between periods. With the cold outside air today, the rink wasn't really that bad.

Oh, and Brunswick won. I'll be back in the rink next Saturday. I've got basketball Sunday, Monday, and again on Wednesday.

But, being honest, it's just not enough and that's a bummer.

However, there was talk of getting me spring schedules. So, it's worth mentioning that if you want broadcasts, Robcasting can be your audio home or can work with your video setup. Oh, and you'd get the Rob of Robcasting with it.

Baseball? Softball? Lacrosse? Any league! Any age!

Inquire within, as always.

With that, I think we'll call it a night. Sean is heading over to WGCH tomorrow to begin training to board op a program. I'm going to join him just to watch. Yes, he's following me into another industry! Honestly, I don't know what to think except of being proud of his willingness to try and his ambition.

As we wrap up, I'm reminded that with this really brutal cold, there are those far less fortunate. It's a reminder to be good to each other. 

Stay warm tonight.

No comments: