Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Noted

 

Today at Brunswick

The readers have spoken!

I opened up Blogger -- my trusty home since I started this thing back in 2006 -- and glanced at the number of reads for last night's post.

In a day in which I wasn't 100% certain what to write about, I saw one thing I shouldn't go near: politics.

Even a largely lighthearted post like last night, in which I (wisely) elected to not watch The State of the Union Address.

Funny thing was that I thought it would get some reads and, somehow, get misread leading to a comment that would raise my blood pressure.

Alas, that would mean people would need to read it.

But, as I recently discussed when it comes to pictures associated with the posts, readers stayed away when they saw the image that I used last night.

So it goes.

I mean, I won't stray from politics because of this but we don't tend to go there too often anyway.

Oh, and true to form, the takes were popcorn-worthy.

*****

I did basketball today. I called Hopkins and Brunswick and the Bruins beat the Hilltoppers.

I was off. I knew it.

I kept mixing up the names of two players and other things.

After it was over I was told that I am too hard on myself (this is true). However, I hold myself to a standard, and, to be honest, I'm always looking over my shoulder. It's simply the nature of the beast and I've had too many others nipping at my heels for several years now.

So, yes. I needed to be better. But what do you do when in that spot?

It's almost like I try to start over. Now, I can't restart the game or the broadcast, but I carry on as if we're starting over. It's quite possible I'll chide and admonish myself on the air but I'll, essentially, clear the mechanism. Or I'll simplify things and won't try to be "fancy." 

To the average listener and viewer, this is probably not noticeable. To me, it's glaring and I can't take the risk. So I refocus on the task and try to get through the game doing the best I can.

In the end, it wasn't fatal. I just didn't think I was my very best but I'd say I finished better than I started.

I'd rather be this way. I'd rather feel as I am versus be nonchalant and not have the humility to recognize I wasn't what I wanted to be.

I fixed it and I feel better and I'll be better next time.

*****

Congrats, LeBron. 

I'll still take Jordan.

No comments: