Sunday, September 20, 2020

Respect the Rules and Wear the Mask

 

We're not "sheeple." We just respect the rules

It was a different scene in Milford, CT than yesterday. Gone was the kindly teacher who was filling in as the site director for the day.

It was still a friendly, warm atmosphere but there was a dramatic change and it happened almost immediately.

"So nice to meet you guys," we were told. "You're welcomed to be here. We have plenty of room. We just ask that you wear the mask when you're in the booth."

And that was that.

I have friends who are total anti-maskers. Family members as well. Most simply do it because that's the deal. Others take it as an assault on their liberty and they make it known on social media (or from their pulpit).

Here's how I viewed it today in Milford: I'm a guest in your house. I don't necessarily like/agree with your rules and/or traditions but I have no choice. I have to respect it or leave.

You say Grace at you table. I don't. OK, fine. We won't say it when you're at my house.

It might seem like a clumsy comparison but it works.

They were nice in how they enforced the mask rule. It wasn't heavy handed and it didn't strike the nerve that turns me into a beast. It wasn't shameful. It was just this: here's the rule. The end.

And so, Shawn Sailer and I called our first game while wearing a mask.

Oh, to be clear, I didn't like it. I think I can speak for Shawn also on this. There were times that I forgot I was wearing it and there were other moments when I felt like I was suffocating. It fogged up my glasses so I actually called the game without them. 

In truth, I think they were enforcing it because there's apparently one guy who tends to get a bit nasty about it and they didn't want any of us to deal with that.

But I can't be any clearer when I say these people were awesome. As you've probably guessed, I've stepped into a few press boxes over the years. Often, you're looked at like a disease (fitting, right?) when they don't know you. There is a feeling of "Who are you and why the **** are you here?"

Then there's the "Who said you could be here?" approach (a personal favorite). Often there's some stammering for a name as they try to intimidate you into hauling the equipment back to the parking lot.

Not in Milford. They were actually thrilled that we were there. They genuinely cared about our broadcast and, at least today, they didn't try to be a part of the broadcast.

As for the game itself, well, it was over early and we'll be back there next Sunday for the championship. I think -- regardless of winner -- we'll be on the call from Stamford from the Little League state championship.

With that said, a big thank you to the many people who have praised (and criticized) our work, and especially those who have spread the word about what we do. I was told that the Stamford North team we saw today against Fairfield National knew who won District 2 last week only because they listened to our broadcast!

I was also told Henry Vincent of National wondered how his home run sounded on the radio in the moments after he hit it. While I certainly don't want to take away from the focus of the moment for a player, I can't deny that I love hearing how into it players, coaches, families and more are.

While I'd be all about video if it could be, there's still something to be said for the simplicity of a basic setup and "radio" (internet audio) still serving as the theater of the mind. It's my job (and Shawn's) to describe everything to you. It's up to me to tell you what I saw in that game today.

You can just sit back (or drive your car) and listen. 

While I'm discussing this, I don't need a breaking news banner to tell you that, assuming there's a Greenwich entry into the "private" football league, we'll be there to call their games (and anyone else who wants us). Ideally, WGCH would be the home for the Greenwich games but we'll work out those details at a later time. Obviously it takes some things to make it happen but I'm planning on the possibility of calling football for my 22nd season after all.

If TEN -- the Trumbull Eagles Network -- also lights their "On Air" light, then you can guarantee I'll jump on a few of those.

Everytime I think it's time to put the equipment away, another intriguing door opens.

I hope, by making friends with Fairfield National, Fairfield American, and beyond, those doors will continue to find a way to swing our way so that we can provide you with our style coverage of sports events.


No comments: