Sunday, September 13, 2020

Meet The New Boss



So this happened.

His (current) name is Binks and he's roughly a year and a half old.

It's hard to argue that we seemed destined for a partnership.

As you probably know, I went to Bridgeport last Friday afternoon to call baseball following my mother's passing. I decided -- and everyone seemed to agree -- that it was the best thing I could do. It would take my mind off things and I could stubbornly honor my commitment to the broadcast.

Paul Silverfarb and I had originally scheduled to grab dinner postgame (even before the events of Friday, Sep 4). Shawn Sailer was set to join us.

Yet we couldn't come up with a place to go that was "COVID-friendly."

So I texted "nephew-in-law" Eric to see if he knew of anything in the Black Rock area of Bridgeport. My thinking was that Eric and Meaghan live nearby and maybe they would meet up with us. I figured we could all use a cold beverage and a big hug.

Eric told me to come to their apartment instead. Knowing that this was truly where I belonged, I begged off with Paul and Shawn.

It was the right call. We toasted my mom's memory, told stories, and I finally ate something more than cereal and pretzels.

A black cat walked by and nuzzled me.

"Do you want him?" asked Eric. "I'm not kidding."

"Um...er..."

It seems code name Binks is a loving, snuggly guy that's become just a tad aggressive with their other cat, Wilson. Plus there's the matter of two cats and a baby in a small apartment.

I mentioned it in passing to others and the response was overwhelming and resounding.

I came up with arguments: cost, responsibility, cost, waking me up at ungodly hours, cleaning a litter box, cost, and cost.

All were shot down. Fast.

Most of them pushed me to text Eric and see if the offer was real.

All felt it was fate that Sir Binks-a-Lot walked into my life on the night of my mother's death.

And so, we're here tonight. I picked him up earlier this afternoon. Eric and Meaghan were not only serious but feel that the cat will be happier here with me and that I'll be happier with the cat.

It's a long drive from Bridgeport to Mahopac and he meowed and explored the car before soiling himself. A fairly inauspicious beginning.

And now he's hiding, which he's been doing for close to five hours. Fairly standard new cat behavior, I suppose.

There have been many times since July 17 that I've looked for Chico. I guess I'll be looking for this cat now.

Oh, and the name can change, but I have no idea what it will be.

He's here now. Just hiding behind the couch.

My mother didn't really want a new cat after Chico, fearing there was only one Chico. She was right, of course. There is only one.

And now there's only one whatshisname. I hope he brings me just as much joy and companionship.

Even Nancy would have to see that fate brought him here.


No comments: