Saturday, September 26, 2020

Never Underestimate a Hot Shower

 

That was the look on my face in the cold water

I'm a habitual shower-taker.

Even in the stretches of the early days in the pandemic where I wasn't doing much, I still carved out a few minutes to clean up.

So I went to climb in on Thursday morning when I came to a sad conclusion: we had no hot water.

That's where I go into my "don't panic" mode (even if it seems like I'm panicking). I've got this. I'll figure it out. 

Indeed, I grabbed a washcloth and dealt with the cold water. I even washed my hair.

Maybe we're just out of heating oil, I thought. I could grab some diesel (yes, true) until they make a delivery.

That didn't work.

By Friday morning, things were no better. I took another fairly cold shower, heated up some water for Sean to wash up, and boiled some water so I could shave.

These were hardly earth-shattering issues. I called the heating oil company and they offered to send a tech out to take a look.

But I also needed to get somewhere.

So it was time for Sean to step in.

"What do I do," he asked.

He handled it brilliantly. Is it rocket science? No, but if you've never done it before and you're a little shy, it can be intimidating.

He let the tech in who quickly diagnosed and fixed the problem.

So I'm proud of him.

That hot water felt great today. 

Don't take it for granted.

*****

I tweeted out some love for the YES Network Yankees broadcast booth tonight. I think Michael Kay, David Cone, and Paul O'Neill have been wonderful this season.

In truth, I've long-thought that both was terrific but they'd only do a handful of games before someone else would climb in the booth.

I get that 162 games -- plus pre and postseason -- is a lot so it would make sense for a Kenny Singleton to jump into games in Baltimore or John Flaherty somewhere else.

But the main booth -- the strong majority of games -- should be Kay, Coney, and Paulie.

I constantly see the Yankees broadcasters getting ragged on, mostly because they're the Yankees. OK, I get that. 

But give credit where credit is due. Kay calls a smooth, excitable game. He leans on cliches more than I do but it's hardly over-the-top. Then again, those trademarks have earned him a reputation.

Cone is the consummate pitcher and the person who has truly embraced modern statistics in the Yankees booth. It makes for a nice balance to the more traditionally-minded O'Neill, who also bring the legacy of the personality that has carried from Phil Rizzuto to Bobby Murcer.

Having O'Neill in his basement has been an absolutely hit and an enhancement to the broadcasts.

Let's also not forget Meredith Marakovits, who reports on all kinds of locker room information, even as she has no access to the clubhouse. She's an unflappable, nice addition to the team, to go along with the pregame and postgame broadcast as well.

There's humor, analysis, history and conversation and information. They hit everything on the bingo card.

They won't get the respect outside of Yankees Universe they deserve but, in my opinion, they've earned it.

No comments: