Tuesday, September 08, 2020

#LetThemPlay



I wish there could be an easy answer to this.

I wish politics could stay out of it.

I wish the athletes and coaches could just do what they do.

They can for so many other sports. Heck, I've called a nice little number of baseball games since July and it's been great. I'm hopeful for some fall baseball also.

So what we know -- in both New York and Connecticut -- is that soccer can happen. So can cross country and field hockey and other "low and moderate risk" sports.

Girls volleyball? Yes, with masks in CT but not in NY.

Football? Oh, they can practice, I guess. Sure.

But, at least in CT, they can't play 11-on-11. Sure, the DPH says that they can do a passing league (you know, 7-on-7), which is essentially two-hand touch. So, the big boys (read: linemen) aren't welcome.

The vitriol has been off the charts, of course. I can't abide by threats to anyone. You're certainly not making your case at that point.

Let me be clear: despite the title of this post, I'm not blindly thinking #LetThemPlay. But I'd like to see them have a chance to play.

Look, I've favored common sense, which hasn't exactly worked well at times.

I'm concerned with how athletes will handle too much down time. During the summer, the only hiccup wasn't due to athletes playing sports. It was due to parties and so on.

I'd like to believe the structure of sports can keep things under control.

I'm also concerned with the mental health of all involved. I'm concerned (frankly) about the financial impact as well (and yes, there's an impact).

What has troubled me the most is the back and forth of politics between the DPH and the CIAC with the athletes stuck in the middle.

Obviously, I haven't had the time to really dig into everything. The news of high school football being canceled (and yes, that's the word) hit last Friday morning. Not exactly the best of times for me to react.

What I don't like is the finality of it all in that the CIAC Board of Control said that football would be canceled -- not moved to spring.

And that was true...until a glimmer of hope today.


So, as you can see, the governor of Connecticut is interested in having football.

I mean, how exactly is it "fair" (no, life isn't fair) that everything else but football can play?

This story from the Bangor Daily News (John Nash's old stomping grounds) says there are 35 states that are offering football "as normal" (whatever that is). Oh, did I mention John Nash and Bangor? John was interviewed on 92.9 The Ticket about being one of the collection of owners of Kentucky Derby winning horse Authentic.

I know Mike Hirn is calling games in Ohio and I very well might go call a few there for them. Even if I drive one day, call some games, and drive home. Maybe a three or four-day inexpensive run out there. (Of course, they're on the New York restricted list so that might invalidate the whole idea).

I want football back but I want it for the right reasons and with safety for all.

Maybe -- just maybe -- with Ned Lamont's support, football will still happen.

Even if it's a part of 2021.

Of course, I still wonder what's magically going to change in 2021.

I'm going to try to do a show tomorrow (I could probably use an hour of sports talk to keep checking out of the real world occasionally) so hopefully we can talk about this. I feel awful that I haven't been available for the families, athletes and coaches who look to me as a voice of something.

No comments: