Saturday, September 12, 2020

Onward



As I remember, it was a Sunday. Maybe March 26, 1989.

That sounds right.

My family had been together for probably nine days as we mourned my father's passing. My brother's family stayed with us for a few days after the funeral.

Maybe that's longer that it actually was, but that's how I remember it.

When they left -- my oldest niece was eight at the time -- my mother and I looked at each other as if we knew that the house would now be really quiet. There was definitely a feeling of, "Now what?"

It was time to move forward.

That time has arrived once again.

I stayed home alone on Monday and Tuesday nights of this week but I knew people were coming. Laura and Emma stayed over. Stephanie was here a few days. My sister Laura was also.

Plus the funeral crowd.

And now -- Sat, Sep 12, 2020 -- they're all gone. Sean is still here and he's doing his school work and talking to friends.

So we move on.

It's time. It's time for Laura and Emma to go home and for Stephanie to have a day to herself.

It will just be a quiet night and I'll be busy tomorrow (Little League baseball at 11 a.m. on Robcasting). Sean says he's staying for a few days before it's just me again.

But we have to keep going.

I'm scared. Nervous. No question.

With COVID's able assistance, my life basically shut down. It stopped, especially as I took care of Mom. I worked in a small handful of games but I'm starting over in many ways.

I know I've mentioned this but it's worth mentioning again (and again).

I should have called Greenwich-Westhill today in Stamford but we know that's not happening anytime soon.

In truth, I tend to think Connecticut (and New York) are playing politics. That's what many aren't seeing. It's not about flattened curves here. There's football being played across the majority of the country. Most of my broadcasting friends are out calling games.

So I have to look into things that will help me cobble together a life again.

A band called Timbuk 3 once said, "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."

My brain certainly didn't think so at four this morning.

I'm still not so certain right now.

But I have to start finding out.

No comments: