Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Sideways Sad Hank

 



News broke just a short time ago that Henrik Lundqvist's contract will be bought out by the Rangers.

That means the 38-year-old goalies career with the Blueshirts is over.

Honestly, it was time, but it's never easy.

Hank and I have had a tough relationship. I equate it to Bernie Williams -- whom I love -- in that he could drive me crazy at times.

"King Henrik" did the same. The great Hank was remarkable. The not-so-great Hank? Meh. Where does he rank in team history? I'm really not sure. 

Mike Richter? Eddie Giacomin? John Vanbiesbrouck? Gump Worsley? It's not an easy answer, but I'll say this: Richter got the ultimate prize, and the iconic penalty shot save against Pavel Bure in 1994.

The Rangers went to one Stanley Cup Final with the "King" but were nearly swept away by the Los Angeles Kings. That, however, shouldn't deter from his legacy.

Henrik stood on his head in the clinching loss in Game 5. He made 48 saves in a double-overtime effort before Alex Martinez broke New York's hearts from near the slot in the left circle.

Hank stayed on his knees after the goal, a combination of heartbreak and exhaustion on his face.

I'm surprised I didn't hear from the front desk at the the Hampton Inn in Meriden, CT where I was staying as I prepped for the baseball state championships the next day. I will admit I sort of yelled.

Paul Silverfarb still can't watch it and can barely talk about that goal. But, the truth was, the Kings were the better team, despite three overtime victories in which the Rangers played their hearts out (two in double OT). That didn't make the hurt any easier.

John Kovach, Paul and I all texted each other that night. Each one of us had a broadcast to prep for. We all wanted to go to sleep. Then that goal happened. We were all pretty tired the next day.

Oh, about that picture. Well, my mom plays a role in that one. You see, Mom had gone to the hospital to have a stent put in in Dec 2013. Pretty routine, she was told. My sister and niece took her the hospital in New Haven, allowing me to focus on work, as we had just began putting HAN Radio on the air.

I also had a credential to go Madison Square Garden that night as Cam Atkinson -- Greenwich's very own -- was in town to play Hank and the Rangers. Paul and I were both going.

Then I got a call that Mom was going to have open heart surgery. My family told me to go on with work anyway -- there was no need for me in New Haven.

Paul said the same.

"Go to the Garden," he said. It will occupy your mind.

So there we were, sitting in the media section on the Chase Bridge, and Henrik got shelled. He was yanked down 3-1 after 11 minutes were gone in the first period. We watch the rest of the game, and there were TV monitors embedded in the desks we were sitting at.

As the game got over, I aimed my iPhone at the shot of Henrik, a Rangers hat on his head, making his way off the bench following the 4-2 loss.

For whatever reason that Apple products do this, the picture turned sideways. Something about it made us laugh as it was a fitting end to the night for the King.

The legend of #SidewaysSadHank was born.

Sorry, Henrik, but thanks for the great memories you did provide. For whatever I thought, I fully expect number 30 to fly from the rafters of Madison Square Garden soon. In the meantime, go the Ray Borque route and win a Cup somewhere else.

You have the respect of a fan base forever.

No comments: