Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Nothing to Do

While looking at Sean Patrick Bowley's blog this morning, a feeling came over me.

I have no games to call. Nothing.

A state football semi-final? Nope. Basketball? Nada. Hockey? Nyet.

So best wishes to those who are gainfully employed in game-calling tonight, and for the state championship this weekend. I've been fortunate enough to call six Greenwich title games, so I'm used to working at this time.

What can I tell you? Despite everything, 2008 was a season that I didn't want to end.

sigh.

Oh, and did I really hear that Trumbull might be a CIAC championship site again, or even Boyle Stadium in Stamford? Nice sites both, but once again, I find myself laughing at the CIAC (which is just too easy sometimes). New York just finished up another year of title games in the Carrier Dome (I called three games there and it's first class). Connecticut spreads their championship sites out to high schools (West Haven, etc.) and colleges (Central Connecticut, Southern Connecticut). Yet again, there's this nifty little site called Rentschler Field - home of the UConn Huskies, in East Hartford.

Or put all of the games at Central, or Southern.

Do like New York does. Spread the title games out over two days and made it the event that it should be. Never mind the point that six championships might be too many (another fight for another time, and the CIAC can only handle so much...50-point rule...COUGH...HAHAHAHA).

Free advice from many of us in the Connecticut sports media.

Even us unloved, underutilized, often forgotten play-by-play voices in Greenwich.

No comments: