Monday, June 30, 2008

I Should Have Had a Hot Dog


KeySpan Park, Brooklyn - 6/29/08

The Renegades played the Cyclones in Brooklyn on Sunday. It was my first trip to Coney Island, and maybe my sixth trip or so to Brooklyn. I can tell you that, if you're a baseball fan, it is worth the trip - about 75 miles and a two-hour drive for me.

Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to stroll the boardwalk, or go to Nathan's for a few dogs. I believe that there will be a next time though!

And a big nod to my radio partner, who nudged me to move my car. I know it was safe on 22nd St, but Sean said he'd just feel better if I moved it into the actual stadium parking lot. OK by me.

The Gades beat the 'Clones 6-4, and despite awful weather, Sean and I had a good call. For some unknown reason, the "radio booth" at KeySpan Park is outdoors. Now many booths are open to the elements, but this is basically a two-tier terrace with an overhang that covers the upper tier. Normally Sean and the great Warner Fusselle (the voice of the Cyclones) work on the lower tier, but that was not possible with thunderstorms coming through. Yet even on the upper tier, you're still not protected when the rain is pouring in at an angle. We used towels and an umbrella that I brought to keep a laptop and our radio equipement dry.

It's always a thrill when somebody like Mr. Fusselle, who's been the voice of the Cyclones for their whole existance, and was well-known as the narrator on "This Week in Baseball" (with Mel Allen), takes the time to recognize you and say that he's heard about you. I think he even gave me a mention during his broadcast.

Whatever it is that I'm doing right, I'm not going to change it! There's something to this whole karma thing, no?

There's more news on the Gades/radio front, but I'm going to wait a little longer before I reveal it. Well, then again, let me just say I have a new talk show, and it's called "The Tailgaters." OK, that's enough.

And it will be on weeknights. Five nights a week. At least for the summer.

Like I said, I'm not going to reveal any info.

Or not.

2 comments:

Tim Parry said...

The secret is... Rob will do the show while going pantless... Sorry, Rob, the cat's out of the bag!

Rob Adams said...

Tim! Come on...it was a secret!