Monday, June 02, 2008

Get Away Day

For the first time in recent memory, I found myself telling people I had not just a good weekend, but a GREAT weekend. It started with our beloved Carmel Sports Association soft-toss Braves game on Saturday morning, in which Sean got a couple of hits, and had fun. OK, he also got kicked in the eye, but after a bout of crying was back to his usual self.

Yeah, you read that correctly. He got kicked in the eye. Just like I try not to write about other things of a personal nature, and do dance moves that would make Gene Kelly proud, I'll do so here also. I enjoy the kids, and like a lot of the parents (I've grown very close to several of the families), so let's not take one incident and blow it out of proportion. I felt all parties acted appropriately (with a nod to John and Kim) to keep things calm.

The fact of the matter is that I will almost definitely not be living in Carmel next year, but I think I've made enough friends that I will look to keep coaching in Carmel. It's become a great love of mine, and I'd like to see how some of the players develop.

After blowing off some steam Saturday night, I jumped in the car and went to Albany yesterday. Hey, I know gas is over $4.00 per gallon, but Mom was into taking the ride, so she supplied the car and the gas, while I used my EZ Pass for the tolls. Now, "why Albany", you say? Well I would say "why not", but I won't. I've always liked the capital city of the great Empire State for many reasons - most notably the convenience of a two-hour drive from home. Plus it's great for shopping, and that was our goal yesterday. An LL Bean store at Colonie Center has opened, and I had some gift cards to use, so it was a perfect storm.

It's looking almost definite that I'm going to take Sean camping with a large chunk of my family next month, so where better to pick up some high-quality camping stuff than Bean? Some complain about prices, but as I said, it's QUALITY stuff. Incidentally, Dick's Sporting Goods is also a great option, along with Target, and perhaps even Wal-Mart (the bane of all). I'm sure there are others (don't get me going on Sports Authority).

Besides, you've just got to look out for bargains at the Bean retail stores and their outlets. I got a brand-new sleeping bag, marked down due to a discontinued pattern, for $29. Works for me. I know Steph found a bargain as well, so we were happy customers.

I saw very clear signs though that all is not well financially, especially over at the sprawling Crossgates Mall. A number of stores were empty and, even more dismaying, a couple of large anchor spaces as well. Probably most dismaying (Mr. Kilkelly, are you reading?) is that Hooters is gone.

Sigh. Oh well, Romano's Macaroni Grill gave us a very good dinner (Meatballs stuffed with smoked mozzarella?? WOW!), and the waitress seemed to like The Son.

Good times. This is my new life.

1 comment:

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

What no Hooters?

Say it isn't so!!!!

Please!