Saturday, June 01, 2024

You're Doing What?

 

Heritage Financial Park during a special moment
a few nights ago, as Benjamin, who battled leukemia, hit 
a "home run" supported by both teams

You might have noticed in yesterday's post a note that I'd be serving two roles tonight.

The first one is my usual. I handle public address announcing, which is entirely different than doing play-by-play. In that position, I announce the batters, changes, read advertisements, and other "situational" items, such as when a Renegades player hits a home run, scores a run, steals a base, etc.

The sales team did an unbelievable job of filling up the situational reads.

I also play the roll of occasional wiseguy with the crowd and main stadium host Rick Zolzer. Otherwise, I'm more of the straight man.

In the booth, we say more off-mic than on, which is different from the play-by-play announcer. The booth can be a laugh fest and we often have a blast interacting with fans.

But tonight, I'm adding the role of booth producer.

The shortest, easiest way of describing this position is to say I'll monitor everything to make sure it goes as planned. There's the script that I follow as the PA announcer, and I'll utilize that as booth producer. To my left, Anthony will run Crossfire, the program that operates the large video board/scoreboard. To my right, Mike (aka "Mikey Clicks") will play the music and sound effects.

A four-man crew will be whittled to three with me doing double duty. But, in truth, Anthony and Clicks will be assistant booth producers. It's going to be a great team effort.

I've learned from watching Davey and Beats and Fish, each of whom ran a good, professional, fun booth.

Admittedly, unless you've been up there with us, you might understand the very controlled chaos of the PA booth. People see us sitting up there (or standing, though my legs are often not keen on that plan) and think we're on easy street.

That's because there are three or four pros up there who know what they're doing.

And so, friends, that's my approach tonight. Clicks will run the music and sounds. Anthony will operate Crossfire. I'll talk on the PA mic, and handle talking to my colleagues who are scattered throughout the stadium on walkie-talkies.

The hope is it will all be seamless though I suspect we'll have hiccups. Producing a live baseball game in the booth is like live radio. Things happen. We'll adjust. I've been in so many spots where things have been collapsing around me that I know the key is to not panic.

Plus, I trust the people I'm working with. They know I can nudge them if needed but in no way will I stand over their shoulders or take over the station their working at. I'm there to assist as needed but I also have my own job(s) to do.

Admittedly, we've wondered if we could make this work as a three-person machine and now we get to find out. It won't be easy and it will be chaotic but we're up for the challenge.

I'm looking forward to embracing something a bit out of the box, even though I liken this to moderating a conference (as I'll be doing again later this week). Follow the script, adjust as necessary, and keep things on time.

And so, buckle up for tonight's Renegades game. 

It might be a wild ride.

No comments: