Monday, June 24, 2024

2K

 


Last Thursday passed without much fuss.

As I recall, I ran some errands and it was fairly average.

That night, I wrote, as I've done every day since Dec 30, 2018.

But, in reality, while it was truly an average day in an average life, it's worth noting that it was the 2000th consecutive day with a post here.

I'm willing to note it because, well, I need a topic every night, right?

Beyond that, meh. I have my thoughts about what I've written and, as has been noted, not every post in meaningful.

However, I can't stress enough I'm not looking for a pick-me-up. I don't want attention, pity, or anything else.

I'm literally just noting that it's been 2000 days in a row. 

Except, now it's 2004 consecutive, so the moment has passed, right?

But this beats whining about other things, so there's that.

Plus it's a night with a game 7 and that's glorious.

Oh, I've seen some sinkers, no question about that. Speaking of which, none of us will ever get past Game 7, 2004. Beyond that, I shall not talk of it.

The good news there was that it was over early. That saves my blood pressure.

Or Game 7, 2001. That had a ton of drama and ended in heartbreak.

Then again, I loved every minute of Game 7 in the 1991 World Series. I was actually practicing calling play-by-play as I watched the 1-0 masterpiece between the Twins and Braves.

How about 1997 (Indians/Marlins)? 2016 (Cubs/Indians)? The 1992 NLCS, when Sid Bream got the piano off of his back on a mad dash? Oh, and the 2003 ALCS, when Aaron Boone got a new middle name in Boston?

There are so many great examples to mention but Game 7 -- or whatever is the ultimate game in a series -- is just the best. 

At least, generally speaking. It was just back in May, for instance, that the Pacers obliterated the Knicks in Game 7. At the Garden.

On the other hand, any hockey fan remembers Game 7 at the Garden in June 1994. The Rangers -- without a Stanley Cup since 1940 -- beat the Vancouver Canucks 3-2 to win. I clearly remember a nerve-wracking night watching that game.

Without a rooting interest, I remember a gutwrenching Game 7 in 2009 between Pittsburgh and Detroit. The series -- and the season -- came down to a brilliant save by Marc-Andre Fleury on Nicklas Lidstrom.

Doc Emrick's call on NBC was overwhelmed by the crowd in Detroit that night, but it's clear "What chaos!" would have been appropriate to say.

Tonight, Sean McDonough gets the honor on ABC/ESPN here in the US while Chris Cuthbert handles the call on CBC in Canada. 

Those are the voices who will be forever connected to this night and I wish them well.

Post number 2005 in a row commences tomorrow.

No comments: