Monday, June 03, 2024

At Least I'll Get Wawa

 

I think I'm working here on Saturday (Google Maps)

It has been confirmed that I am heading to New Jersey this weekend to call four lacrosse championship games. 

The coverage will be via LocalLive on NJ.com.

The teams and details aren't confirmed yet but I'll be out in Flemington this Saturday.

That means learning the ins and outs of a new facility, which is at least something to take into account. Based on the setup, that often means no press box or there isn't room for me in the press box. In 2022, for instance, I worked on top of a press box on a considerably warm day with the sun baking on me.

Foolishly, I had no cover of any kind. Including a hat.

So this time I have to be more prepared in that regard. I'll need one of my pods in the car, a hat, and sunscreen. All just in case there's no indoor access.

And food. Yes, you need food. You can't rely on a concession stand for several reasons, including trying to get to it in between games. There isn't always enough time. Simply making a restroom run can be a challenge.

Oh, Wawa, my sweet Wawa. I'll be visiting you for sure in the morning.

Of course, that also means staying hydrated and taking care of my voice. The adjustment there is that I'll likely have a videographer with me which means I don't have to be completely detailed on the minutiae of the game. Thus that cuts down on some words.

The audience can see the game so it's not an audio/radio call.

But I still have to bring the energy and attention. These teams have earned a professional broadcast.

As for Connecticut, well, that's not my problem, is it?

They have what they have and I have to go where I'm wanted.

New Jersey will get me for what appears to be my 20th championship call there between baseball, wrestling, soccer, and lacrosse. I've also called some regional basketball and hockey championship games also.

I'm hardly "The Voice of New Jersey Sports" (cringe) but I've come to do quite a few events there.

I don't quite have the respect in NJ (shocked, right?) to have a larger say in which games I call and I try to be flexible. So it goes and, in this case, it's lacrosse.

Unfortunately, it's not playing out like last year, when I got to do a six-game swing of lacrosse and baseball spread out through a Friday and Saturday, with a hotel room included.

I'm happy to be working. I'm happy to take my talents somewhere.

After that, it will likely be a few weeks before the next calls, as Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth baseball will be heating up. I've come to love this being a summer tradition for me and am looking forward to those games.

For those asking, we have not found an apartment yet. Yes, it's nerve-wracking but there are people working with us on some ideas. 

We're staying upbeat and believing it will all be OK.

In the middle of this week is also a Hunt Scanlon conference, our last before a summer break. So I have to stay on my game for that also. But, hey, I handled the Renegades double-dip of PA and booth producer on Saturday and I likened that to being a conference moderator.

I'll be ready to go on Thursday morning.

And I'll be ready for lacrosse on Saturday from New Jersey.

Where I'm wanted.

No comments: