Friday, June 21, 2024

The Waiting Remains the Hardest Part

 


I'm so wrapped up in moving (and frustrated*) that I haven't spoken much about games.

As I'm a little worried about a quiet summer -- something I can't afford -- I'm happy to say I'll be back under the headset soon.

* Yeah, I'm frustrated. I'm lacking some answers and it's bugging me. For instance, I reached out to Eversource (the always affordable electric company, haha) and, as I feared, they couldn't find my address. They need a meter number.

OK, cool. I reached out for an answer and I'm still waiting. On that same note, we're also still waiting for a date when we can get the key and start moving. We were told we could begin coming over before July 1 but ... we're holding out for an actual answer.

So, yes, patience is needed, which I'm out of. I'll need some answers on Monday.

Oh, to add to this tale of woe, I also need some ill-timed car work. 

Ah, yes, games. I've alluded to this before but a slate of tournament games is on the horizon, beginning in early July.

Once again, Trumbull will host us, this time with a Babe Ruth 13-Year-Old State Tournament. The winner of that will head to Westfield, MA for the New England Regional. The winner of that heads to the World Series in Glen Allen, VA, which I've heard does a great job. That also means staying just outside of Richmond.

Yes, I'd quite like that. I miss Richmond.

My understanding is the Trumbull tournament will be on a different field than I've worked at but that's all stuff I'm trying to confirm, along with game times and other items.

I've also been asked to call the Cal Ripken New England Regional at Oxford, CT. The teams there will include the Connecticut champion, who will emerge from the state tournament, which is ongoing now. Winning the regional will propel the champion to the World Series at Florence, AL.

The odds of me going to that probably aren't great but who's to say? When I first started calling tournament games in 2015, I was simply trying to survive. The grind was tough on my voice but, somehow, I've gotten much better at managing that. 

Since then, I've called a tournament nearly every year.

The people from the Oxford tournament got to me first and we had some good conversations to understand exactly what I can bring to them. There might be a few more things outside of the broadcasts themselves but overall it should be mostly business as usual.

But Trumbull? Mike Buswell? How can I say no? Even Mike knew I couldn't.

If I had any desire to be out, I was brought right back in.

I haven't called enough baseball in 2024. Frankly, I've felt deficient, so I've got this to look forward to.

But it also starts in the first week of July and we need to get going on the move.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go look at the two fields where I expect to be working. I want to get a sense of cell service, a booth (if available), and space (if I need to create my own booth).

And if I need to create a booth, I need to figure out if I want my pod or a tent, and other ways to keep me and the equipment out of the elements.

Barring any issues and/or conflicts, the games will all run on Robcasting.

However, tonight, I'm sitting in a living room full of crates and boxes (and some junk) and I'm tired of waiting. 

Hopefully, there will be more packing and more mess and, in due time, the move will begin.

No comments: