Saturday, June 29, 2024

The Endless Pizza Debate

 


I saw an account pop up on the socials today.

He seems like a fairly nice guy, though I don't know him and I don't follow him.

But he is among the latest posting about the pizza thing.

"A simple question:

Does Connecticut have the best pizza in the country? Yes or no?"

And my answer was equally simple and I truly doubt it will ever change.

"No. Negative. It's good but it's not NY."

I mean, truthfully, how does one quantify such a thing?

I do so by saying my favorite pizza(s) are in New York. You've heard me give the answers.

Sal's.

Joe and Pat's.

Patsy's.

And so on.

Connecticut will tell you about Frank Pepe's and Modern and Sally's. I've had some of them and they're terrific, no question.

But I'll go out of my way for Sal's, for instance. I'll deal with traffic and parking in Mamaroneck. I'll deal with it when it's crowded.

And I've loved it for 30 years, back to my days at Kraft.

I get the defensive nature of Nutmeggers when it comes to pizza and other things but it just screams of a desperation for attention.

I've likened it a a certain sports fanbase who thinks they get no respect or regard. 

Or the broadcaster who keeps posting the same things because they think it will somehow help them get an MLB job.

But, like bagels, lobster rolls, music, and other things, this is all conjecture.

Frankly, it's silly.

What happens is we discover our go-to.

I mean, when Sean and I want breakfast, we're immediately going to say Waffle House but that doesn't mean there aren't other things we like. Effective Monday (I think), we're going to be living within walking distance of a diner. 

But there are those things that stay with you forever.

I mean, I guess if that's what people in Connecticut need to justify something, then so be it.

Look, there are things I love here in Greenwich. The Hotsy and the Nugget Wrap at Garden Catering and the ham, egg, and cheese at Plaza Restaurant. The Bruin at Corbo's Corner the chicken parm at Bella Nonna.

The pizza at Frank Pepe's is also excellent, to be clear.

But it will never top Sal's in Mamaroneck.

Fight that good fight, Connecticut.

You probably love Grimace also.

No comments: