Saturday, June 29, 2019

Ace Baseball Thoughts

Brett Gardner, right, celebrates with teammate Gleyber Torres after a home run. (Photo: Tim Ireland, AP)
I'm a Yankees doodle dandy...

I'm sort of knackered tonight (it's British for extremely tired) so I thought I'd write for a squizz (a look or a moment).

If you care about baseball even slightly, then you know the Yankees and Red Sox met in London today. The final score was a ridiculous 17-13. It was 6-6 after one.

They had nearly 60,000 at London Stadium for a game that took nearly five hours to play. That's right -- it was nearly the longest nine-inning game in history.

That, in my opinion, doesn't help baseball's case to become truly international.

But MLB commissioner Rob Manfred will see 60,000 people and lots of merchandise sold. So all good.

On the other hand, fans got numerous home runs, including a shot from legit superstar Aaron Judge.

The PR factor for MLB was otherwise quite good, give the appearance of Price Harry and Meghan Markle.

But MLB sending Angel Hernandez to serve as an umpire was just bizarre.

Of course, fans also had Joe Buck and John Smoltz to whine about. Trust me when I say that they sound like Vin Scully and Red Barber (yes, two play-by-play guys, but work with me here) when compared to how ESPN's crew will sound tomorrow morning at 10 a.m.

I'm fairly convinced that I'll have that on mute and listen to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman.

Back here in the States, they honored the 1969 Mets who authored, of course, a miracle.

I had -- probably -- another 500 words about how Gil Hodges isn't a Hall of Famer, and was it really a "miracle," and how it probably wasn't the greatest sports story in New York history, as they tried to say today.

Then I watched the 2019 team blow another lead, get the tying and winning runs on base and leave them stranded right there in another excruciating loss.

I can't bring myself to do it.

Being the Mets fans I like are gutted, I can't be that cheeky.

More British words.

No comments: