Friday, July 16, 2010

Exit 55 on the Ramp

NJ-Exit 55 on I287 N 2008-0323

Last weekend, I noticed that I had been challenged in a post by Chuck Costello, and rightly so.  It is true that I haven't written as much here as I have in the past.  A combination of diverging life-forces have had a lot to do with it.  I’ve been busy and occasionally uninspired.  Plus I often assume “Exit 55” doesn’t have such a wide audience, so no one will be troubled if I disappear.  Thanks to Chuck for the reminder.

Earlier this week, even after seeing what Chuck wrote, I considered shutting down, or just taking a break.

I could explain why but I think it is best to simply move on.  Folks who have read the bloggy since 2006 know the ups and downs.  Yet 2010 has been solid.  Slow out of the gate, but just improving constantly.  That being said, I occasionally hit a wall.  Sometimes it’s a roadblock and we move on.  Other times, it’s the Great Wall of China.

It happens, and I shouldn’t be judged by it.  There’s still a lot of work to do.  Work.  Yeah.  That.  Making money.  But also doing right by Sean.  Being a good dad.  A good son.  A good boyfriend.  A good friend.  Having a great relationship without screwing it up.  Not making old mistakes.  You understand and probably go through some of the same.

In short, I need to remember that, doggone it, I’m OK.  There's a reason you’ve chosen to hang around me, and that Carrie hasn’t dumped me in the Gowanus Canal.  I don’t have to be so freaking hard on myself.

Remember, this is a fresh start!  Rob V2.0!  Though to be fair, it’s probably version 2.5 or so by now!

I used a Beatles song quote on Facebook yesterday (it always comes back to them, doesn’t it?).  From the song “Getting Better” (from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, not my fave Fab album):

I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time
I have to admit its getting better
It's getting better
Since you've been mine

And it is.  I just hit a construction zone.  A little delay in traffic.  No need to take the off ramp.

We keep moving forward.

No comments: