Friday, July 02, 2010

Dedicated to The Big Apple

2371891057_b26c0cd5a6

(Photo courtesy of New York Portraits)

With all of the traveling to and from New York City, I feel like it’s time to put a playlist together!  Something to keep me company on the train or in the car.  Of course, I’m happy to receive any assistance from you – the loyal readers.

Now, there really are no hard and fast rules here.  The song can simply name check New York, such as this little ditty:

“New York, New York isn’t everything they say, and no place I’d rather be.  Where else can you do a half-a-million things, all at a quarter to three?”

Of course, they can be the obvious song choices:

- Frank Sinatra, “New York New York”

- Billy Joel, “New York State of Mind”

- Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, “Empire State of Mind”

But it can also simply be a band that evokes the spirit of New York (The Ramones), or mention the boroughs or sites (obviously, Brooklyn gets special attention).  Or a mention of sports teams is also fair game (“they sent the carrier out from Norfolk, to pick the Yankees up for free” – Billy Joel, “Miami 2017”).  Also, they don’t have to be all upbeat and happy (LCD Soundsystems’ “New York I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down” is a stunning example).

In short, I’ll take all suggestions and the final choices are those solely of the judge (me), since I’m the one who will be listening to it.

That being said, Carrie can have a say, since she might also want a copy of the list.

So have at it.  If the list isn’t too long and crazy, I’ll put it here on the Blogel (with cream cheese).

No comments: