Friday, January 22, 2010

Never Wanted to See One of These Again

I watched every last minute of the "Tribute to Heroes" telethon in 2001. As the title of this post says, I never wanted to see one of these again. The agony of it all - the images, the words - was terrible, though the music was amazing.

I know there was the infamous one in 2005 when Kanye West said what he said about George Bush, but I was occupied that evening.

Tonight, Sean and I were in the house, and I flipped it on. It was time to explain to him what had happened (I am somewhat surprised that he didn't hear about it in school). He was stunned to hear about it.

We could talk about the "pretty people" on this telethon. We could break down the performances. We could say some pithy things. Yet I don't want to.

Not tonight.

There just aren't the right words to write tonight with regard to Haiti, and I'm not going to try.

No comments: