Thursday, April 09, 2009

One-Hit Wonders

How do you define a one-hit wonder in music? To me it's a band that hit the Top 40 with ONE HIT. That's it, right? I'll go further to say that the sign had a large level of popularity (top 20, top 10) but the band was otherwise never heard from again. Well the folks over at Stuck in the 80's have put together their list of one-hit wonders from the 1980's. Now I agree with Dexy's Midnight Runners dreadful "Come on Eileen." To my knowledge, I don't recall a follow-up single. Yet others, not so much.

For instance, there is always the notion that A-Ha only did "Take on Me" and that was it. Even before I ever met Sandi, I knew that her favorite band followed up "Take on Me" with "The Sun Always Shines on TV" (I thought it was a better song...or it wasn't as overplayed). According to Billboard, the song went to #20.

That, friends, is not a one-hit wonder.

A Flock of Seagulls had two more top-40 hits following "(I Ran) So Far Away. Again, not a one-hit wonder.

There are plenty of others that do not define the concept of a one-hit wonder. Peruse the list and any person with a basic knowledge of music (must...not...write...wisecrack...here...either) can see the obvious boo-boos (The Outfield, Cutting Crew - wow that's a big mistake, Thomas Dolby, Twisted Sister, and so on).

Sheesh, even considering a band like Madness a one-hit wonder is probably a mistake because they've had a big following both before and after "Our House."

Anyway, as always this makes for fun conversation.

No comments: