Thursday, September 19, 2024

Talking, It's What I Do

 

Harvard Club, NYC

The alarm sounded at 4 a.m. I had just spoken on a microphone for hours the night before.

A conference was a few hours away and it was go time. I'd be back on the mic again.

I pulled myself together to head out the door. There was a 4:49 train out of Greenwich and I preferred to be on that.

Initially, I wanted to walk to the station. I thought it would be a nice workout in the cool air of the early morning. However, knowing that the walk would take some time, I could either sleep until 4 a.m. and drive or get up earlier. So I got whatever sleep I could (minimal, of course), got ready, and drove to the train station.

I grabbed a spot on the street near the station, paid for parking, paid for a train ticket on my phone, and was on the platform by 4:47.

The trip was quiet, and I strolled into the Harvard Club in Manhattan at 6 a.m.

It was a half-day conference and, once again, I think my colleagues crushed it. I got to do something different, moderating a fireside chat/panel discussion with two professionals in the industry. The tricky thing in this is that I'm taking someone else's words and making them sound appropriate. Still, it's like a radio or podcast interview and I have some experience with those.

I thought it came off pretty well, along with the rest of the day.


Somewhere along the line, I realized I'd also screwed up. I grabbed a pair of black pants back in Greenwich before reaching back into my closet to grab the appropriate suit jacket. Black suit, right?

Nope. Somehow, pinhead that I am, I grabbed a navy jacket. It was hours before I realized anything was amiss. Fortunately, nobody seemed to be any wiser, despite how embarrassed I felt.

A black and white cookie later, we missed our first train by seconds, grabbed a second train, and came home.

And I had a parking ticket. I will be dealing with that tomorrow.

The Bowling Green Hot Rods celebrate

All of this wrapped up a whirlwind 24 hours that began last night with the Renegades in their ultimate game of the South Atlantic League Championship.

Alas, a title was not to be. Bowling Green had a 2-0 lead, watched it get cut to 2-1, and eventually won 4-1. The Renegades ran out of magic, unfortunately.

There were tears and lots of melancholy as the Hot Rods celebrated near the pitchers mound. My job at that point was to remain professional and facilitate the introduction of the ceremony to present the league championship trophy before saying goodnight to the fans and supporting my colleagues.

I congratulated Bowling Green, thanked the fans and the crew, and just tried to end on a high note.

I have been around the Hudson Valley Renegades organization in parts since 2001. That, counting the COVID season, is 24 seasons of play-by-play, color commentary, public address announcing, and on-field hosting. I was there a lot over the years and I loved it. I've been there as a fan since the stadium opened in 1994.

As it is for all of us part-timers, we're all terminated effective today. It sounds cold but it's just business. Oh, sure, we can all be rehired before next April, but nothing is guaranteed. For me, it will start as an offseason of uncertainty. The 2024 Renegades season was interesting. Fascinating. Frustrating. Exhilarating. And nearly euphoric.

There were myriad highs and some absolutely frustrating moments as well. 

But what I know is I absolutely love the people I work with. Obviously, starting with Sean and Lori, but also Clicks, Fish, Beats, the Jasons, Guido, Alli, Lurch, Anthony, and so on.

I can't name everyone. Apologies to those I didn't name. To many, I might be "the voice" on the PA system. My face probably isn't well known. But there are so many wonderful personalities, like "Batman," the guy who walked around dressed with a Batman mask on, speaking in the Christian Bale "growl."

Yet, as we all left the booth, we got a sad reminder that all good things must end...

Long live "Batman"

If last night was the end for me, I want to walk away proud and happy. That's what I did, despite the loss. I don't want sadness. I don't want to avert my eyes when I drive by the stadium on I-84. I want to remember the good -- and there was plenty of that.

I was once the play-by-play announcer for the Hudson Valley Renegades. An affiliate of the New York Yankees. I'm profoundly proud of that.

If there's more, then bring it on. I love baseball. I love Minor League Baseball. 

Maybe the picture clears up quickly.

I need it.


No comments: