Monday, September 09, 2024

Prepping Patiently

 

It's not your night, Aaron

I'm ready.

Honestly, I could call the game now.

Greenwich plays at West Haven on Friday night and I've already secured space in the booth and know what time I'm leaving (Hint: early).

Dan and I have already watched the Cardinals in a scrimmage so that homework has been done.

I've checked the team previews to learn a few of the names that will likely stand out.

The only thing missing is the rosters and, if you know me, we can even get around that. Trust me, I don't want that. I've asked both schools for rosters but I know how opening week works.

I've checked the CIAC website and West Haven has an incomplete roster. Greenwich's is in worse shape than that.

It's Monday. I'm honestly not worried.

I have a few storylines that we'll hit on in the pregame. I'd love to have more and, to that end, I've reached out for more, but nothing has come yet.

That's just how it goes. The broadcast can't hinge on that.

It's fun to mine for these things. It's fun detective work but it's not perfect.

In a perfect world, we would have more access, but we don't, despite our efforts. Chris Erway and I tried to improve that for years. In some seasons we got closer than others.

That's where the parents become so important for us. That's where those tailgates are great because we are able to talk to people there. Sometimes, it's just standing on the field before the game. You see things. You hear things.

Dan and I will do our best to tell the story.

What means a lot -- a lot -- is to hear people say they're happy we're back to cover the games. Even the body language says something. It means there's a comfort level with us. 

It's a rewarding feeling.

This all doesn't just go for Greenwich. It's for Brunswick and anyone else. I won't get to see the Bruins this Friday but I'll hit the road for their week two matchup at Salisbury. 

Things have been quiet in Brunswick land but I'm hoping that will change sooner rather than later. I need their roster also and anything else.

But, trust me, I'm ready.

You likely won't see me showing up with a lot of notes. I'll have the equipment. I'll have a partner.

That doesn't mean I'll be unprepared. It's just that I retain things. I have a computer and a phone with me to fill in any blanks.

This isn't my first rodeo. Others need notes, charts, graphs, and colored pens. Great. That's what works for them. 

This is what works for me.

Once upon a time, I referred to someone as a "prep snob" and it rattled him. Eventually it turned, well, toxic. I apologize but I will note that it was mostly a joke. I mean, I've called friends "beer snobs," "deli snobs," "pizza snobs," and so on. None of it is serious.

Heck, I've been called a snob on various things. Your mileage may vary on all of it.

That being said, when you refer to people who don't prepare for a broadcast like you as "lazy," then what do you expect to be called?

And, admittedly, that topic is a sensitive one for me.

Oh, I'm prepared.

I'm ready.

But we have to wait until Friday.

So there are still four days to get the rosters.

No comments: