Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Honor Has Different Emotions

 


There are two entirely different thoughts in this post but honor is the theme.

To start, it is always an honor but it's wrong to say it.

But, stay with me, and I think it will make sense.

I anchored WGCH's coverage of the Sept 11 memorial ceremony at Cos Cob Park this morning. Sean joined me on his own doing and I was really proud of that.

Honestly, he just wanted to be there. He didn't even expect to be on the air but I had him co-anchor with me. I realize he didn't live through that day but I felt he would have an interesting perspective as someone who has seen it through the eyes of history.

The thing I mentioned and I said so a few times on the air was that nobody actively wanted to be there this morning. We'd all like to go back to 2001 and not have that experience. 

Of course, that's not how it works and thus it's an honor to be asked to anchor coverage of something that I think is really important.

It's been 23 years and it's still emotional. I still watch the footage and listen to the coverage. I spend time reliving it again and again.

I wish -- truly, truly, truly wish -- that we still had audio from WGCH but our archive up until the mid-2000s is pretty woeful, save for things I've collected. I have audio of the show I co-hosted on Sep 12, 2001 but that's it. None of the work of Jim Thompson, Dima Joseph, John Iannuzzi, and the other very talented hosts on WGCH that day exists. 

I was there that morning but never got on the air. There was honestly no need for me to do so and, by 10 a.m. we had switched over to using a network news feed. I think we were a CNN affiliate at the time.

So, as I said, I wasn't on the air until I co-hosted Tee Time with Michael Breed on the night of the 12th.

I've written so many thoughts down since that day and you can find them all here on the blog in the archive. At this point, I wish we could act like we did on Sep 12 that year but sadly it appears that time has passed. We're too divided.

Heck, I don't even remember the same way anymore. I had a tradition of what I played every year on Sep 11 but time changes people and I just don't want to hear the music I used to play.

The focus, as always, must be on the nearly 3,000 lives lost that day in Shanksville PA, as well as at the Pentagon, and the World Trade Center. The number, of course, is much higher due to the loss of people since then thanks to air quality-related disease.

And the loss of innocence. We all lost someone or something that day, and time has certainly taught me that.

We'll never forget. I never will and, I'm proud to say, that my son will make sure to never forget.

*****


Staying with the theme of being honored, please excuse the awkward transition. I wanted to mention that I enjoyed what was probably my finest moment as a public address announcer last night.

I've watched so many sporting events. I've watched countless starting lineup introductions.

In fact, I get angry when those introductions are not broadcast. 

Last night, the Renegades played Game 1 of the North Division Championship against the Greensboro Grasshoppers. It was decided that both teams would be introduced on the field before the game, just as you'd see in a playoff game or on Opening Day in MLB.

For whatever reason, the duty didn't fall to Fish on the field, who would have done an excellent job. I got the honor.

I'll add this: I think Fish and I would have been great together, introducing both teams on the field. We would have had the place in a frenzy.

It was overwhelming, knowing that I was introducing some 60 people between the two squads. Pronunciations and accuracy were paramount. In fact, we jumped the gun initially before it was actually time to start.

I read slowly but moved quickly between people, ensuring I enunciated every name.

As I completed introducing the Grasshoppers, I remembered that it was OK to ramp things up a little higher for the Renegades. My dogged nature to not be a homer could actually take a back seat.

I enjoyed saying that the Gades are "the High A affiliate of the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees."

And I gave a little zest to introducing each coach and player before beginning the starting lineup. Suddenly, I heard a roar from the over 4,000 in attendance at Heritage Financial Park. I also felt my face get red, beaming with a hint of pride.

Leading OFF, the second basement, number two, Roc ... REEEE-ZHEE-OHH!

Oh, damn, this was great. A wave of emotion rolled over me. 

Clicks had the music pumping, Anthony made it look great on the video board, and Tom stayed out of the way. Yes, I could hear the chaos over the walkie-talkie and I won't deny that was distracting but I worked around it. Too many cooks were stirring the stew and I'd be damned if anyone was going to screw this up.

And it all aired on the broadcast. Remember, that's also a family affair with Sean on camera.

One thing I didn't do was look at the field. I found myself in a zone with the paperwork of the hastily arranged rosters.

The Gades won the game, ultimately cruising to a 6-0 conquest. If they win tomorrow in Greensboro, they'll come home next week for the South Atlantic League Championship. They'll have to play a third game for me to be back on the mic.

It's possible that last night was my finale and, if it was, what a way to go out.

But I'll walk away with my head held high and perhaps my most enjoyable moment.

We'll wait before truly assessing everything otherwise.

No comments: