Sunday, September 29, 2024

Games Over ... Almost

 


The Yankees just finished a 6-4 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Bombers finished the year with 94 wins. They have the best record in the American League and the third-best record in all of baseball.

Hard to believe that this team, which was considered to be such a bust at one point, heads into the postseason in this shape. They watched their lead in the American League East whittle to nothing and saw the Baltimore Orioles briefly overtake them.

And then? The Orioles had their own struggles and the Yankees did just enough.

The Yankees won the division and are the top seed in the AL.

I mean, in Yankees Universe, fifteen years between rings is considered bad. I know it's an entitled attitude but so I have no further answer for it. The hunger to win doesn't stop.

Sadly, short of winning the World Series (or even if they do win it), Aaron Boone and Brian Cashman will still hear calls for their jobs from the fanbase.

I'm not among those voices. 

I can't wait to see how Juan Soto, Anthony Volpe, Jazz Chisholm Jr and others perform for the first time under the October lights in New York.

Ah, but the baseball regular season is not finished yet. 

The Atlanta Braves will host a lovable collection of scamps tomorrow featuring humor, whimsy, and joy. They'll play a doubleheader to finish the season for the right to advance to the playoffs. 

Indeed, the New York Mets are the only team in the history of sports to have humor, whimsy, and joy.

Especially when compared to the dastardly New York Yankees.

Is my sarcasm clear enough?

For the love of Tom Seaver, spare me.

As I speak, I'm currently arguing about who will win the National League MVP because that's the kind of thing Mets fans focus on. That, along with humor, whimsy, and joy, who has the best broadcasters, fast food characters, "OMG," and literally everything other than the game itself.

For the record, like it or not, Shohei Ohtani will win the MVP going away. I realize the guy is shaky with his interpreter and gambling getting swept under the rug but he had a season that was beyond few things we've rarely seen.

Also, Babe Ruth is still the GOAT. I'm content to die on that hill.

And Francisco Lindor of the Mets has become every bit the player that I thought he'd become in New York. He's great to watch and perfect for the spotlight. But the MVP will be Ohtani

Anyway, I'm hoping we have chaos tomorrow to finish the season. The Arizona Diamondbacks will be watching with great interest as their own playoff hopes hinge on what happens in these two games.

After that? The playoffs begin. 

I know who I'm rooting for.

No comments: