Friday, September 23, 2022

The Streets of San Francisco

 


It's 1:34 p.m. in Connecticut as I begin writing.

That means 10:34 a.m. in San Francisco.

I'm not one for hanging around when I'm away.

So when my eyes opened at 5 a.m. here, I ... decided to rest a little longer.

Eventually, I was out the door into the sunlight of the Bay Area.

The first order of business for Erik and me was coffee. You'd be fairly surprised that we weren't having much luck as we walked.

So, we grabbed an Uber and made our way to our goal: seeing Oracle Park, home of the San Francisco Giants.

Address, 24 Willie Mays Plaza, of course.

There was a good coffee place a few blocks from the stadium, so we jumped out there, and walked the rest of the way to the home of the Giants.

Of course, this is the third stadium they've played in since coming to San Francisco before the 1958 season. They played at Seals Stadium before moving to Candlestick Park and, finally, to Oracle Park (as it's now known) in 2000.

Bobby Murcer was a Giant but he played at Candlestick and cursed it every day.

And Oracle Park was the site of Vin Scully's last broadcast. So, let's call this slightly sacred ground.

*****

It's now 5:50 p.m. here and I'm waiting to head to the airport.

With the conference out of the way, I was able to bounce around the city, seeing things I saw last time I was here and seeing some new things as well.

I saw sea lions and that was just great.

I saw the Golden Gate Bridge again and I simply can't get tired of that.

I enjoyed a great day in a great city but it's time to come home.

I can't thank my colleagues -- my friends -- enough. They don't mind hanging out with this old guy who's pretty lame.

It will be a long night getting home and I truly hope I sleep.

I'll talk to you tomorrow from Greenwich as I'll be on the call of GHS and Southington at 3:00.

Sean and Rascal are holding down the house and I look forward to seeing them.

For now, good night from San Francisco.

No comments: