Wednesday, September 21, 2022

In the Air

 

Getting on the plane

Maybe I've written this before (I'm pretty sure I have), so hang in there with me. I'm also writing this in advance of flying to San Francisco in case I don't have time for anything more in-depth.

I don't love flying.

It's not a matter of fear. I don't mind it.

I just hate being sardined on a plane. It's more of a space thing.

Infamously, I suffered from claustrophobia coming back from Los Angeles one time and nearly had a panic attack. In fact, I was struggling to breathe at one point, so yeah.

In the case of going to and returning from London, I used my noise-canceling headphones and just listened to stuff to entertain me. Still, I felt constantly restless in my seat but at least I had an aisle seat and could adjust as needed. I'd rather have my shoulder bumped into as opposed to being trapped.

The thing is, I'm a car person. I want to see the road. I want to see where I'm going and where I've been.

That doesn't mean I haven't had excellent flying experiences. The best have been the trips that allowed me to see out the window and identify things. Spotting Lake Mahopac and my home from the air was exhilarating as was looking down and knowing random places I was seeing without any hints.

Allentown, PA. I saw it with no problem. A Waffle House nearby, of course.

I saw Ireland from the air back in April and that was breathtaking. It truly is as green as advertised.

So I appreciate the experience. I appreciate the people who do the work and keep us safe and, somehow, keep smiling.

In truth, I'll probably always fly because it's fast and it's safe. 

Yet, Sean and I have talked seriously about going to Florida in a few months. I'd love to drive.

Love. Love. Love to drive to Florida. The nostalgia of that would be off the charts.

Yet I know flying is probably best for time.

So, don't get me wrong. I don't hate flying.

I just don't love flying either.

With that, I have a flight to catch.

*****

Thankfully we're off the plane and on the road to the hotel

And now, I'm off the flight. 

It was cramped and exhausting and everything that goes into a flight.

It was also well-run and safe.

Security wasn't a problem.

OK, I couldn't watch movies at my seat but I'm not going to complain about that.

However, I had wifi and texted and messaged with loved ones.

I'm here. That's what matters.

Lots to do for a great conference and a successful trip now.

No comments: