Wednesday, September 28, 2022

61*

 

(Photo: New York Times)

You see it, I'm sure.

The asterisk.

But, the thing is, it's irrelevant tonight.

Unnecessary.

Aaron James Judge has hit his 61st home run of the 2022 season.

It ties the single-season record for the Yankees and the American League.

It does not tie the Major League Baseball record, which is held by Barry Bonds.

Still, this is sacred ground.

Since 1961, this has been an iconic number. While I've watched Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds all surpass 61, it just never felt like I'd see a Yankees player get there.

Sixty-one.

The number became iconic in 1961 - yes, 61 years ago. 

Babe Ruth had set the mark that felt untouchable in 1927. Hank Greenberg and Jimmie Foxx were among those to challenge the mighty Babe but only Maris was able to reach the "unreachable."

After that magical summer of '61, it felt like no one would threaten it.

Then came McGwire. Sosa. Bonds.

And we all know -- come on, be fair -- what the reality was with each of them.

So, to many, Aaron Judge tied the "clean" mark tonight.

Frankly, I don't care. I knew what those guys were doing in the late 90s. I was initially suspicious. Then it was confirmed.

Something was rotten in the town of Cooperstown.

But fans were complicit in their cheering for all of them.

For the record, I shook my head watching all of it. A lot.

Roger Maris was a man who didn't want that kind of spotlight. Yet, he got it. In the end, it meant something to him and, honestly, could you blame him? He tied and broke the single-season home run record set by Babe Ruth.

You know. The one with the asterisk.

Which, incidentally, Ruth reached in 154 games. Maris reached it in 161 games. Thus, the asterisk. For what it's worth, it took Judge 155 to get here but we no longer worry about that.

I will long remember where I was when he hit it tonight. I was sitting at a high table with Mark Jeffers, Dave Torromeo, Bob Small, and Ed Manetta. We were sitting at the MTK Hotel inside The Hub, where we had just completed our first edition of "The Clubhouse" for the fall season.

It was nice to watch members of the Maris family supporting Judge throughout the runup to tonight. I have no reason to think they won't stick around until 62 happens.

I'll remember all of it.

And, just as importantly, just like when Roger Maris hit his 61st home run, the Yankees won.

It doesn't mean it will sit in the all-time baseball record book but many in the court of public opinion will say otherwise.

It doesn't matter to me. I never imagined watching a Yankees player reach this mark and I saw it with my own two eyes.

What an accomplishment.

What a season.

What an honor.

That's what I texted afterward.

"Holy (bleep). I just saw a Yankee hit 61 home runs."

That's the clean version.

Roger Maris was mythical to me.

Oh, he'll still be.

But Aaron Judge just joined him tonight. 

Wed, Sep 28, 2022.

No comments: