Saturday, September 24, 2022

Saturday's Kickoff

 

Heading to the airport last night.
So, do you know the way to San Jose?

Jet lag is no joke.

Neither are red-eye flights.

Our flight from San Francisco touched down at 5:10 this morning at JFK in New York.

By the time we made our way off the plane and back to Greenwich, I walked into the apartment before 7 a.m.

Considering I got -- at best -- two hours of sleep (and I'm being generous with that number) on the plane, I quickly fed Rascal, unpacked a little, and climbed into bed.

I had to find some energy and strength to be a functioning member of society.

That meant I had to get my butt in gear to broadcast the Southington/Greenwich football game at Cardinal Stadium.

Sleep came easy and, to be fair, I probably could have slept a lot longer. 

Around nine, a voice softly spoke to me. It was Sean, who needed me to move my car so that he could drive to work.

Eventually, I stumbled out of the apartment around noon to stop at WGCH before making my way to the stadium.

I made it with little issue and was on the air at 2:50.

OK, that's not entirely true. Cell service isn't great at Cardinal Stadium and the phone that I use for WGCH had dicey service. So we broadcast this game using my cell phone. So, yay.

Over the next three hours, I was responsible for describing a fascinating football game that aired not only on WGCH. but on Robcasting and LocalLive.

Not only was it probably one of the games of the day but it was a big tilt between two top ten teams.

Oh, and it was Homecoming for Greenwich.

And I called the game alone.

And I was losing steam at times. As in falling asleep.

But it all went just fine.

OK, maybe not fine for Greenwich, as the Cardinals lost 29-28.

But I can hold my head high that I survived an uncomfortable plane ride and did my job on limited sleep as my body adjusts to being back on the east coast.

I haven't found any good formula for jet lag. Either I adjust well or I'm constantly tired.

Oh, did I mention that I also had to do laundry after the football game?

So, yeah, once that is finished, the odds of me getting some serious sleep are strong.

Maybe more coherent posts will follow.

No comments: