Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Bruins Are Back

 


Sean is still here, having driven all the way to his job in Fishkill this morning only to have to come back tonight. 

I mean, he lives here part-time but it's a bit of a commute for him.

But he's here, we had dinner, and I'm happy when he's around.

On the other hand, it's one of those nights in which I get tired of taking the blasted high road and being "nice."

But, of course, being nice means not writing what I'm thinking and keeping such things in the ol' vault.

Turning this to the happier, I got back to Brunswick for the first time today since the spring season ended.

Bruins coach Wayne McGillicuddy asked for a broadcast of today's scrimmage between the Bruins and Loomis Chaffee. his belief was that it would be a good dress rehearsal and that's something I'm in complete favor of.

It gave Chris Erway and me a chance to work in the booth and for him to get his first look at Brunswick.

Look, is it necessary? No, but I see more positives than negatives to broadcasting it.

It allowed me to see if I have the equipment I need for each week. There are subtle differences between the setup for Greenwich, Brunswick, and others. In the case of Wick, I have to run audio to a camera. 

The Brunswick booth is also a different setup than many others that Chris and I work in. For one thing, we stand in two different rooms and, while that doesn't seem like a big deal, there can be visual cues that we'll often use. In this case, that's not as easy to do.

So, the larger point here is that broadcasting a scrimmage isn't a necessity.

But it did come in handy.

Today was the day that we get the luxury of using the Brunswick roster and learning names. For Chris, it was a chance to learn names that I already know.

It was a chance to watch Loomis Chaffee and know that they are, indeed, the Pelicans.

The thing is that you're used to certain things if you cover certain places. In the case of Chris, he's always covered the FCIAC and CIAC. Now he'll get to cover the NEPSAC, where the football is still great. He'll see Williston-Northampton and Avon Old Farms and Cheshire Academy and Trinity-Pawling.

We'll travel to some of those and we'll have some of those teams visiting Cosby Field.

He learned today about the Robert L. Cosby statue and the tradition of shaking his hand. 

To me, there was enormous value in this to be able to paint the picture week after week.

I'm glad we did it. When The Hun School visits Brunswick next week, we'll be ever more prepared than we would have been.

Oh, by the way, the Bruins look quite good. The Pelicans do also.

And Sean is still here.

He's happy here.

No comments: