Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Be Adaptable


Part of being, well, me means being ready to adjust on the fly.

I like being reliable and the attitude of being prepared to adjust plays into that.

Now, to be honest, I don't really like last-minute things but, let's face it, it's fairly impossible to avoid it.

So, as I begin writing, I'm working on my second deposition of the day. Both happened in the spur of the moment.

The first one came via text this morning and I had a few hours before I had to start so I was able to go get some food and do some stuff around the apartment. However, the time of the deposition interfered with "Doubleheader" so I had to bail out of the show.

Still, a paid gig is a paid gig. 

So I worked and was done by dinner time. I finished up a few other things and began to settle in for the night. I listened to the end of the first game of the Yankees/Twins doubleheader and was getting ready to enjoy the second game.

Then the phone rang again.

"You're done with your deposition?"

"Yes. All set."

"OK, cool. Want to do another one?"

"Er. Sure, why not?"

With a little technical preparation, we set it up and now here I am.

I like being adaptable. I always thought it was one of my better selling points.

It's in line with my "Have headset. Will travel" philosophy where I can jump on a game at a moment's notice. Again, it's not my favorite way to roll but that ability to adjust has served me well.

Speaking of which, game one is set for Friday night at Newtown. 

Yes, there will be plenty of adapting that night. I've already glanced at rosters and have a headache. There are duplicate numbers and, of course, there will always be the question of pronunciations and simply feeling prepared.

I'll get there. Of course, I will. I've done this for too long. But I won't feel right until we're settled into the booth on Friday and the broadcast starts. Once I see we have good internet/cell phone service and the rosters are OK and we have a good view and we're comfortable then I will finally take a deep breath.

We'll be off and running. But, until then, there will be apprehension.

Again, I've done this for too long.

The job tonight wound up being brief. There are rarely guarantees with these kinds of things although occasionally we'll get told that the deposition has to end by a certain time. I wasn't aware of such a thing tonight.

So, considering the circumstances I feel fortunate to be finished. 

I just turned the radio on for a few minutes to listen to John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman call the Yankees/Twins game.

Incidentally, I'm loving hearing the Renegades I covered last year make it. Osawld Peraza got his first major league hit today for the Yankees while Hayden Wesneski pitched well for the Cubs last night. It's the same way I felt watching high school players I covered move up the ladder. Very cool.

It's quiet here otherwise.

Just another night in the life.

No comments: